Rationale and Objectives
Materials and Methods
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
World Health Organization. The global burden of disease: 2004 update. Available at: http://www.who.int/healthinfo/global_burden_disease/GBD_report_2004update_full.pdf. Accessed April .
Ries LAG, Melbert D, Krapcho M, et al. SEER cancer statistics review, 1975-2005. Available at: http://seer.cancer.gov/csr/1975_2005/. Accessed April 7, 2010.
- Epidemiology of lung cancer: ACCP evidence-based clinical practice guidelines (2nd edition).Chest. 2007; 132: 29S-55S
- The correlation of emphysema or airway obstruction with the risk of lung cancer: a matched case-controlled study.Eur Respir J. 2002; 19: 1093-1098
- Low lung function and incident lung cancer in the United States: data from the First National Health and Nutrition Examination Survey follow-up.Arch Intern Med. 2003; 163: 1475-1480
- Assessing the relationship between lung cancer risk and emphysema detected on low-dose CT of the chest.Chest. 2007; 132: 1932-1938
- Low-dose volumetric computed tomography for quantification of emphysema in asymptomatic smokers participating in an early lung cancer detection trial.J Thorac Imaging. 2009; 24: 206-211
- Lung cancer preneoplasia.Ann Rev Pathol Mech Dis. 2006; 1: 331-348
- Regional deposition of inhaled particles in human lungs: comparison between men and women.J Appl Physiol. 1998; 84: 1834-1844
- Local particle deposition patterns may play a key role in the development of lung cancer.J Appl Physiol. 2003; 94: 1719-1725
- Tracheobronchial particle dose considerations for in vitro toxicology studies.Toxicol Sci. 2006; 92: 126-132
- Theoretical and mathematical foundations of human health risk analysis: biophysical theory of environmental health science.Kluwer Academic, Boston1997
- Deposition of ultrafine particles at carinal ridges of the upper bronchial airways.Aeros Sci Technol. 2004; 38: 991-1000
- α-Radiation dose at bronchial bifurcations of smokers from indoor exposure to radon progeny.Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 1983; 80: 1285-1289
- Spirometric data and penetration of particles to the alveoli.Br J Ind Med. 1986; 43: 188-191
- Ambient atmospheric particles in the airways of human lungs.Ultrastruct Pathol. 2000; 24: 353-361
- Higher risk of lung cancer in chronic obstructive pulmonary disease. A prospective, matched, controlled study.Ann Intern Med. 1986; 105: 503-507
- Airways obstruction and the risk for lung cancer.Ann Intern Med. 1987; 106: 512-518
- Early lung cancer detection using spiral computed tomography and positron emission tomography.Am J Respir Crit Care Med. 2005; 171: 1378-1383
- Tack D. Gevenois P.A. Radiation dose from adult and pediatric multidetector computed tomography. Springer-Verlag, Berlin, Germany2007
- Standardisation of spirometry.Eur Respir J. 2005; 26: 319-338
- Biological calcification: normal and pathological processes in the early stages.Springer, Berlin, Germany2007
- Global strategy for the diagnosis, management, and prevention of chronic obstructive pulmonary disease: GOLD executive summary.Am J Respir Crit Care Med. 2007; 176: 532-555
- Statistical aspects of the analysis of data from retrospective studies of disease.J Natl Cancer Inst. 1959; 22: 719-748
Local regression. Available at: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Local_regression. Accessed April 7, 2010.
- Lung structure and function in cigarette smokers.Thorax. 1994; 49: 473-478
- Anatomy of the post-laryngeal airways, lungs and diaphragm.Surgery. 2005; 23: 393-397
- The radiographic appearances of the chest in persons of advanced age.Br J Radiol. 1964; 37: 769-774
- Tracheopathia osteoplastica: clinical, radiologic, and pathological correlations.J Thorac Cardiovasc Surg. 1980; 79: 537-541
- Regulation of chondrogenesis and chondrocyte differentiation by stress.J Clin Invest. 2008; 118: 429-438
- The potential contributions of chronic inflammation to lung carcinogenesis.Clin Lung Cancer. 2003; 5: 46-62
- Inflammation in the development of lung cancer: epidemiological evidence.Exp Rev Anticancer Ther. 2008; 8: 605-615
- Spirometric reference values from a sample of the general U.S. population.Am J Respir Crit Care Med. 1999; 159: 179-187
- A risk model for prediction of lung cancer.J Natl Cancer Inst. 2007; 99: 715-726
- Application of the noise power spectrum in modern diagnostic MDCT: part II. Noise power spectra and signal to noise.Phys Med Biol. 2007; 52: 4047-4061
The University of Navarra data analyzed in this study were partially funded (PI070792) by Instituto de Salud Carlos III, Ministry of Health, Madrid, Spain .