Rationale and Objectives
Materials and Methods
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
- Painful diabetic polyneuropathy: epidemiology, pain description, and quality of life.Diabetes Res Clin Pract. 2000; 47: 123-128
- Lost productive time and costs due to diabetes and diabetic neuropathic pain in the US workforce.J Occup Environ Med. 2007; 49: 672-679
- Comorbidities, healthcare service utilization and costs for patients identified with painful DPN in a managed-care setting.Curr Med Res Opin. 2009; 25: 1319-1328
- Thalamic neuronal dysfunction and chronic sensorimotor distal symmetrical polyneuropathy in patients with type 1 diabetes mellitus.Diabetologia. 2008; 51: 2088-2092
- Differences in metabolites in pain-processing brain regions in patients with diabetes and painful neuropathy.Diabetes Care. 2008; 31: 980-981
- Early involvement of the spinal cord in diabetic peripheral neuropathy.Diabetes Care. 2006; 29: 2664-2669
- Altered resting state in diabetic neuropathic pain.PLoS One. 2009; 4: e4542
- Elevated insular glutamate in fibromyalgia is associated with experimental pain.Arthritis Rheum. 2009; 60: 3146-3152
- Excitatory neurotransmitters in brain regions in interictal migraine patients.Molel Pain. 2009; 5: 34
- Simultaneous in vivo spectral editing and water suppression.NMR Biomed. 1998; 11: 266-272
- Reduced insular gamma-aminobutyric acid in fibromyalgia.Arthritis Rheum. 2012; 64: 579-583
- Effect of prior intensive insulin treatment during the Diabetes Control and Complications Trial (DCCT) on peripheral neuropathy in type 1 diabetes during the Epidemiology of Diabetes Interventions and Complications (EDIC) Study.Diabetes Care. 2010; 33: 1090-1096
- Positive neuropathic sensory symptoms as endpoints in diabetic neuropathy trials.J Neurol Sci. 2001; 189: 3-5
- Dynamic levels of glutamate within the insula are associated with improvements in multiple pain domains in fibromyalgia.Arthritis Rheum. 2008; 58: 903-907
- Increased glutamate/glutamine compounds in the brains of patients with fibromyalgia: a magnetic resonance spectroscopy study.Arthritis Rheum. 2010; 62: 1829-1836
- Thalamic neuron hyperexcitability and enlarged receptive fields in the STZ model of diabetic pain.Brain Res. 2009; 1268: 154-161
- Downregulation of GABAB receptors in the spinal cord dorsal horn in diabetic neuropathy.Neurosci Lett. 2011; 490: 112-115
- Astrocytes: glutamate producers for neurons.J Neurosci Res. 1999; 57: 417-428
- Effects of different frequencies of transcranial magnetic stimulation (TMS) on the forced swim test model of depression in rats.Biol Psychiatry. 2002; 51: 474-479
- In vivo NMR studies of the glutamate neurotransmitter flux and neuroenergetics: implications for brain function.Annu Rev Physiol. 2003; 65: 401-427
Supported by the Program in Neurology Research and Discovery at the University of Michigan, the Juvenile Diabetes Research Foundation (JDRF) and the Radiological Society of North America (RSNA).
M.P. researched data, contributed to discussion, wrote the manuscript, and reviewed and edited the manuscript. R.P.B. and B.R.F. researched data, contributed to discussion and reviewed and edited the manuscript. R.A.E.E., B.C.C., S.E.H., R.E.H., D.J.C., and E.L.F. contributed to the discussion and reviewed and edited the manuscript.
No conflicts of interest relevant to this article were reported.