- •Chest X-ray interpretation by reporting radiographers is noninferior to radiologists.
- •Chest X-ray reporting by reporting radiographers can increase diagnostic capacity.
- •Maximizing the use of reporting radiographers could streamline patient pathways.
Rationale and Objectives
- Woznitza N.
- Piper K.
- Burke S.
- et al.
Reference Standard Diagnosis
- Woznitza N.
- Piper K.
- Burke S.
- et al.
|Findings To Be Considered Normal||Findings To Be Considered Abnormal|
- Chakraborty D.P.
|Experience (y)||Consultant Radiologists||Reporting Radiographers|
|Reporting Practitioner||Number of Cases||Figure of Merit (95% CI)|
|Consultant radiologist||1055||0.788 (0.766–0.811)||0.786 (0.764–0.808)|
|Reporting radiographer||1158||0.828 (0.808–0.847)||0.830 (0.811–0.849)|
|Consultant Radiologists||Reporting Radiographers|
Strengths and Limitations
Comparison with Literature
|Study||Number of Participants||Practitioner Characteristics||Number of Chest X-rays||Normal:Abnormal Ratio||Simulated or Natural Nodules||Nature of Intervention/Comparison||Observer Performance Area Under Curve (AFROC) and FoM (JAFROC) Control Intervention|
|Current study||21||10 CRs||106||1:1||Natural—range of pathologies||Direct comparison of CRs and RRs||CR mean FoM = 0.786|
|11 RRs||RR mean FoM = 0.830|
|Manning et al. |
|21||8 CRs||120||1:2||?natural||Eye tracking||AFROC (expert)|
|5 RRs before/after 6 mo training||RR after AUC = 0.82; CR AUC = 0.80|
|8 UG radiographers (naïve)|
|Donovan and Litchfield |
|40||Naïve (nonmedical)||30||1:1||24 natural, 4 simulated||Eye tracking study, comparison with observer experience||Naïve mean FoM = 0.41|
|UG radiographers||First UG mean FoM = 0.60|
|Experts (CR and RR)||Third UG mean FoM = 0.71|
|Experts mean FoM = 0.72|
- Appendix S1
Zonal localization criteria.
- Appendix S2
Summary of true-positive and false-negative errors for consultant radiologists and reporting radiographers.
- Clinical radiology UK workforce report 2011.Royal College of Radiologists, London2012
- Patients waiting too long for test results.Royal College of Radiologists, London2014
- Clinical radiology UK workforce census 2015 report.Royal College of Radiologists, London2016
- Health care in Canada: a focus on wait times.Canadian Institute for Health Information, Ottawa, Canada2012
- Inquiry into Gold Coast X-ray reporting.(Queensland, Australia)2014
- Optimizing patient care in radiology through team-working: a case study from the United Kingdom.Radiography. 2014; 20: 258-263
- Beyond image interpretation: capturing the impact of radiographer advanced practice through activity diaries.Radiography. 2016; 22: e233-e238
- The radiography workforce current challenges and changing needs.College of Radiographers, London2016
- Radiographer reporting in the UK: a longitudinal analysis.Radiography. 2015; 21: 119-123
- Radiographers and trainee radiologists reporting accident radiographs: a comparative plain film-reading performance study.Clin Radiol. 2013; 68: 55-58
- Screening of chest roentgenograms by advanced roentgen technologists.Radiology. 1970; 94: 427-429
- Accuracy of chest film screening by technologists in the New York early lung cancer detection program.AJR Am J Roentgenol. 1978; 131: 593-597
- Chest reporting by radiographers: findings of an accredited postgraduate programme.Radiography. 2014; 20: 94-99
- Adult chest radiograph reporting by radiographers: preliminary data from an in-house audit programme.Radiography. 2014; 20: 223-229
- Evaluation of the World Health Organization criteria for chest radiographs for pneumonia diagnosis in children.Eur J Pediatr. 2012; 171: 369-374
- Diagnostic imaging: what is it? When and how to use it where resources are limited?.World Health Organization, Geneva2001
- Recent advances in observer performance methodology: Jackknife free-response ROC (JAFROC).Radiat Prot Dosimetry. 2005; 114: 26-31
- Preliminary clinical evaluation and clinical reporting by radiographers: policy and practice guidance.College of Radiographers, London2013
- Team working in clinical imaging.Royal College of Radiologists and the Society and College of Radiographers, London2012
- Agreement between expert thoracic radiologists and the chest radiograph reports provided by consultant radiologists and reporting radiographers in clinical practice: review of a single clinical site.Radiography. 2018; (In press)https://doi.org/10.1016/j.radi.2018.01.009
- Sample size tables for receiver operating characteristic studies.AJR Am J Roentgenol. 2000; 175: 603-608
- Hospital episode statistics for England.(Inpatient statistics, 2011-12)2012
- The FROC, AFROC and DROC variants of the ROC analysis.in: Van Metter R. Beutel J. Knundel H. Handbook of medical imaging. SPIE Press, Bellingham, WA2000: 771-796
- Recent developments in FROC methodology.in: Samei E. Krupinski E.A. The handbook of medical image perception and techniques. Cambridge University Press, New York, USA2010: 216-239
- Recruitment of hard-to-reach population subgroups via adaptations of the snowball sampling strategy.Nurs Health Sci. 2010; 12: 369-374
- Chest x-ray: a survival guide.Elsevier, Spain2008
- On the choice of acceptance radius in free-response observer performance studies.Br J Radiol. 2013; 86 (42313554)
- Increasing prevalence expectation in thoracic radiology leads to overcall.Acad Radiol. 2016; 23: 284-289
- How to conduct a free-response study 2005.(Available at:)Accessed June 26, 2012)
- A status report on free-response analysis.Radiat Prot Dosimetry. 2010; 139: 20-25
- JAFROC [program]. 4.2 version.(Pennsylvania, USA)2014
- Variation between experienced observers in the interpretation of accident and emergency radiographs.Br J Radiol. 1999; 72: 323-330
- Receiver operating characteristic analysis: basic concepts and practical applications.in: Samei E. Krupinski E.A. The handbook of medical image perception and techniques. Cambridge University Press, New York, USA2010: 187-203
- Pulmonary nodules again? The 2015 British Thoracic Society guidelines on the investigation and management of pulmonary nodules.Clin Radiol. 2016; 71: 18-22
- Looking for cancer: expertise related differences in searching and decision making.Appl Cogn Psychol. 2013; 27: 43-49
- Viewing another person's eye movements improves identification of pulmonary nodules in chest x-ray inspection.J Exp Psychol Appl. 2010; 16: 251-262
- Time-dependent observer errors in pulmonary nodule detection.Br J Radiol. 2006; 79: 342-346
- How do radiologists do it? The influence of experience and training on searching for chest nodules.Radiography. 2006; 12: 134-142
- The role of preliminary interpretation of chest radiographs by radiographers in the management of acute medical problems within a cardiothoracic centre.Br J Radiol. 2001; 74: 230-233
- The influence of experience and training in a group of novice observers: a jackknife alternative free-response receiver operating characteristic analysis.Radiography. 2014; 20: 300-305
- Radiographers' performance in chest X-ray interpretation: the Nigerian experience.Br J Radiol. 2015; 88 (20150023)
- Designing studies to ensure that estimates of test accuracy will travel.in: Knottnerus J.A. Buntinx F. The evidence base of clinical diagnosis: theory and methods of diagnostic research. Blackwell Publishing, Singapore2009: 96-117
- The impact of image test bank construction on radiographic interpretation outcomes: a comparison study.Radiography. 2016; 22: 166-170
- Methodological approaches to evaluating the practice of radiographers' interpretation of images: a review.Radiography. 2008; 14: e46-e54
- Diagnostic performance of a prototype dual-energy chest imaging system ROC analysis.Acad Radiol. 2010; 17: 298-308
- The effect of supplementary bone-suppressed chest radiographs on the assessment of a variety of common pulmonary abnormalities: results of an observer study.J Thorac Imaging. 2016; 31: 119-125
- Fast scanning tomosynthesis for the detection of pulmonary nodules: diagnostic performance compared with chest radiography, using multidetector-row computed tomography as the reference.Invest Radiol. 2011; 46: 471-477
- Effect of clinical experience of chest tomosynthesis on detection of pulmonary nodules.Acta Radiol. 2009; 50: 884-891
- Computer-aided detection of lung cancer on chest radiographs: effect on observer performance.Radiology. 2010; 257: 532-540
- Usefulness of computer-aided diagnosis schemes for vertebral fractures and lung nodules on chest radiographs.AJR Am J Roentgenol. 2008; 191: 260-265
- Reader characteristics linked to detection of pulmonary nodules on radiographs: ROC vs. JAFROC analyses of performance.Proc SPIE. 2011; 7966 (79660K-79660K-79668)
- New methods for using computer-aided detection information for the detection of lung nodules on chest radiographs.Br J Radiol. 2014; 87 (20140015)
- Detectability of simulated pulmonary nodules on chest radiographs: comparison between irradiation side sampling indirect flat-panel detector and computed radiography.Eur J Radiol. 2013; 82: 2050-2054
- The impact of acoustic noise found within clinical departments on radiology performance.Acad Radiol. 2008; 15: 472-476
User LicenseCreative Commons Attribution – NonCommercial – NoDerivs (CC BY-NC-ND 4.0) |
For non-commercial purposes:
- Read, print & download
- Redistribute or republish the final article
- Text & data mine
- Translate the article (private use only, not for distribution)
- Reuse portions or extracts from the article in other works
- Sell or re-use for commercial purposes
- Distribute translations or adaptations of the article
Elsevier's open access license policy