RATIONALE AND OBJECTIVE
MATERIALS AND METHODS
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
New ACR-sponsored CPT codes approved by the AMA. American College of Radiology Website. Available at: https://www.acr.org/Advocacy-and-Economics/Advocacy-News/Advocacy-News-Issues/In-the-November-2-2018-Issue/New-ACR-Sponsored-CPT-Codes-Approved-by-the-AMA. Accessed August 20, 2019.
Most recent changes to the CPT® Category III Codes document. American Medical Association Website. Available at: https://www.ama-assn.org/system/files/2019-03/cpt-category3-codes-long-descriptors.pdf. Accessed August 20, 2019.
- Current Procedural Terminology; a primer.J Neurointerv Surg. 2015; 7: 309-312
RSNA and ACR to collaborate on landmark medical 3D printing registry. Radiological Society of North America Website. Available at: https://www.rsna.org/en/news/2019/August/3D-Printing-Registry. Accessed August 20, 2019.
- Radiological Society of North America (RSNA) 3D printing Special Interest Group (SIG): guidelines for medical 3D printing and appropriateness for clinical scenarios.3D Print Med. 2018; 4: 11
- Clinical applications of 3D printing: primer for radiologists.Acad Radiol. 2018; 25: 52-65
- Logistics of three-dimensional printing: primer for radiologists.Acad Radiol. 2018; 25: 40-51
- Stereolithographic biomodelling in cranio-maxillofacial surgery: a prospective trial.J Craniomaxillofac Surg. 1999; 27: 30-37
- 3D-printing techniques in a medical setting: a systematic literature review.Biomed Eng Online. 2016; 15: 115
- Advantages and disadvantages of 3-dimensional printing in surgery: a systematic review.Surgery. 2016; 159: 1485-1500
- Measuring and establishing the accuracy and reproducibility of 3D printed medical models.Radiographics. 2017; 37: 1424-1450
Crump SS. Apparatus and method for creating three-dimensional objects. US Patent 5,121,329; October 30, 1989.
- Medical 3D printing and the physician-artist.Lancet. 2018; 391: 651-652
- A new initiative on precision medicine.N Engl J Med. 2015; 372: 793-795
- A study of time-dependent operating room fees and how to save $100 000 by using time-saving products.Am J Cosmetic Surg. 2005; 22: 25-34
- Surgeon contribution to hospital bottom line: not all are created equal.Ann Surg. 2005; 242 (discussion 537-539): 530-537
- Surgical planning and microvascular reconstruction of the mandible with a fibular flap using computer-aided design, rapid prototype modelling, and precontoured titanium reconstruction plates: a prospective study.Br J Oral Maxillofac Surg. 2015; 53: 49-53
- Combined use of rapid-prototyping model and surgical guide in correction of mandibular asymmetry malformation patients with normal occlusal relationship.J Craniofac Surg. 2015; 26: 418-421
- Use of prototyping in preoperative planning for patients with head and neck tumors.Head Neck. 2014; 36: 1773-1782
- Computer-assisted design and rapid prototype modeling in microvascular mandible reconstruction.Laryngoscope. 2013; 123: 597-604
- Application of rapid prototyping for temporomandibular joint reconstruction.J Oral Maxillofac Surg. 2011; 69: 432-438
- Preliminary application of computer-assisted patient-specific acetabular navigational template for total hip arthroplasty in adult single development dysplasia of the hip.Int J Med Robot. 2011; 7: 469-474
- Application of 3D rapid prototyping technology in posterior corrective surgery for Lenke 1 adolescent idiopathic scoliosis patients.Medicine. 2015; 94: e582
- Improved operative efficiency of free fibula flap mandible reconstruction with patient-specific, computer-guided preoperative planning.Head Neck. 2015; 37: 1660-1664
- Radiographic outcomes of preoperative CT scan-derived patient-specific total ankle arthroplasty.Foot Ankle Int. 2015; 36: 1163-1169
- A prospective randomised controlled study of patient-specific cutting guides compared with conventional instrumentation in total knee replacement.Bone Joint J. 2013; 95-B: 354-359
- A comparison of patient-specific and conventional instrumentation for total knee arthroplasty: a multicentre randomised controlled trial.Bone Joint J. 2015; 97-B: 56-63
- Patient specific cutting blocks are currently of no proven value.J Bone Joint Surg Br. 2012; 94: 95-99
- In-vivo alignment comparing patient specific instrumentation with both conventional and computer assisted surgery (CAS) instrumentation in total knee arthroplasty.J Arthroplasty. 2014; 29: 343-347
- Preliminary experience with the patient-specific templating total knee arthroplasty.Acta Orthop. 2012; 83: 387-393
- Intra-operative results and radiological outcome of conventional and patient-specific surgery in total knee arthroplasty: a multicentre, randomised controlled trial.Knee Surg Sports Traumatol Arthrosc. 2013; 21: 2206-2212
- Implant positioning in TKA: comparison between conventional and patient-specific instrumentation.Orthopedics. 2015; 38: e271-e280
- Accuracy and efficacy of osteotomy in total knee arthroplasty with patient-specific navigational template.Int J Clin Exp Med. 2015; 8: 12192-12201
- Patient-specific instrumentation does not shorten surgical time: a prospective, randomized trial.J Arthroplasty. 2013; 28: 96-100
- Patient-specific positioning guides versus manual instrumentation for total knee arthroplasty: an intraoperative comparison.J Surg Orthop Adv. 2014; 23: 140-146
- No radiographic difference between patient-specific guiding and conventional Oxford UKA surgery.Knee Surg Sports Traumatol Arthrosc. 2015; 23: 1324-1329
- Operative efficiency and accuracy of patient-specific cutting guides in total knee replacement.ANZ J Surg. 2015; 85: 452-455
- The value of patient-matched instrumentation in total knee arthroplasty.J Arthroplasty. 2012; 27: 153-155
- Are patient-specific cutting blocks cost-effective for total knee arthroplasty?.Clin Orthop Relat Res. 2012; 470: 889-894
- Small improvements in mechanical axis alignment achieved with MRI versus CT-based patient-specific instruments in TKA: a randomized clinical trial.Clin Orthop Relat Res. 2014; 472: 2913-2922
- Custom-fit minimally invasive total knee arthroplasty: effect on blood loss and early clinical outcomes.Knee Surg Sports Traumatol Arthrosc. 2013; 21: 2234-2240
- Reducing blood loss in bilateral total knee arthroplasty with patient-specific instrumentation.Orthop Clin North Am. 2015; 46 (ix): 343-350
- Improved alignment and operating room efficiency with patient-specific instrumentation for TKA.Knee. 2014; 21: 1216-1220
- Is TKA using patient-specific instruments comparable to conventional TKA? A randomized controlled study of one system.Clin Orthop Relat Res. 2013; 471: 3988-3995
- Additive manufacturing for microvascular reconstruction of the mandible in 20 patients.J Craniomaxillofac Surg. 2012; 40: 43-46
- Optimizing cerebrovascular surgical and endovascular procedures in children via personalized 3D printing.J Neurosurg Pediatr. 2015; 16: 584-589
- The use of physical biomodelling in complex spinal surgery.Eur Spine J. 2007; 16: 1507-1518
- Computer-assisted hip resurfacing using individualized drill templates.J Arthroplasty. 2010; 25: 600-606
- Tailor-made surgical guide based on rapid prototyping technique for cup insertion in total hip arthroplasty.Int J Med Robot. 2009; 5: 164-169
- Computer-designed splints for surgical transfer of 3D orthognathic planning.Facial Plast Surg. 2015; 31: 474-490
- Patient-specific cutting guides were not better than conventional instrumentation for total knee arthroplasty.J Bone Joint Surg Am. 2015; 97: 1891
- Break-even analysis with curvilinear functions.Account Rev. 1965; 40: 867-871
- Clinical efficacy and effectiveness of 3D printing: a systematic review.BMJ Open. 2017; 7e016891
- From ideas to long-term studies: 3D printing clinical trials review.Int J Comput Assist Radiol Surg. 2018; 13: 1473-1478
- A simulator for training in endovascular aneurysm repair: The use of three dimensional printers.Eur J Vasc Endovasc Surg. 2017; 54: 247-253
- CT based 3D printing is superior to transesophageal echocardiography for pre-procedure planning in left atrial appendage device closure.Int J Cardiovasc Imaging. 2018; 34: 821-831
- 3D printing for congenital heart disease: a single site's initial three-year experience.3D Print Med. 2018; 4: 10
- Understanding costs of care in the operating room.JAMA Surg. 2018; 153e176233
Consumer Price Index Inflation Calculator. U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics. Available at: https://data.bls.gov/cgi-bin/cpicalc.pl. Accessed August 20, 2019.
Funding: DHB receives salary support from National Institutes of Health TOP-TIER grant T32-EB021955. JAW is a co-inventor of patent application: “Methods and Devices For Three-Dimensional Printing Or Additive Manufacturing Of Bioactive Medical Devices,” Application number US14822275; this is not discussed in the current manuscript. FJR is the Medical Director of Imagia Cybernetics.