Rationale and Objectives
Materials and Methods
- Breast density implications and supplemental screening.Eur Radiol. 2019; 29: 1762-1777
Legislation and regulation. https://densebreast-info.org/legislation.aspx. Accessed August1, 2019.
- Patient-reported breast density awareness and knowledge after breast density legislation passage.Acad Radiol. 2019; 26: 726-731
- New federal requirements to inform patients about breast density: will they help patients?.JAMA. 2019; 321: 2275-2276
What is health literacy? https://www.cdc.gov/healthliteracy/learn/index.html. Accessed June19, 2019.
- Health online.Pew Research Center, 2013Published January 15, 2013. Accessed July 29, 2019)
- The use of readability formulas in health care.Psychol Health Med. 1996; 1: 7-28
- Assessing readability of patient education materials: current role in orthopaedics.Clin Orthop Relat Res. 2010; 468: 2572-2580
- A First look at the literacy of America's Adults in the 21st century. 28. U.S. Dept. of Education, Washington, DC2006
- Health literacy: a manual for clinicians.American Medical Association, American Medical Foundation, Chicago, IL2003
- Health literacy and patient safety: help patients understand.2nd ed. American Medical Association Foundation and American Medical Association, Chicago, III2007
What We Know About Health Literacy. National Center for Health Marketing, Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. http://www.cdc.gov/healthcommunication/pdf/healthliteracy.pdf. Accessed July 20, 2019.
- Improving the readability of online foot and ankle patient education materials.Foot Ankle Int. 2014; 35: 1282-1286
- Readability of patient education materials in hand surgery and health literacy best practices for improvement.J Hand Surg Am. 2016; 41: 825-832
- The readability of AAOS patient education materials.J Bone Jt Surg. 2016; 98: e70
- Derivation Of New Readability Formulas (Automated Readability Index, Fog Count And Flesch Reading Ease Formula) For Navy Enlisted Personnel.Research Branch report. 1975; 8–75
- A new readability yardstick.J Appl Psychol. 1948; 32: 221-233
- The fog index after twenty years.J Bus Commun. 1969; 6: 3-13
- A computer readability formula designed for machine scoring.J Appl Psychol. 1975; 60: 283
- SMOG grading-a new readability formula.J Reading. 1969; 12: 639-646
- Automated readability index.CINCINNATI UNIV, OH1967
Fox S, Duggan M. Health online 2013. https://www.pewinternet.org/2013/01/15/health-online-2013/. Accessed Aug 15, 2019.
- Satisfaction with information used to choose prostate cancer treatment.J Urol. 2014; 191: 1265-1271
- Readability of online materials for rhinoplasty.World J Plast Surg. 2018; 7: 89-96
- Readability assessment of patient education materials from the American Academy of Otolaryngology—Head and Neck Surgery Foundation.Otolaryngol Head Neck Surg. 2012; 147: 466-471
- Assessment of online patient education materials from major ophthalmologic associations.JAMA Ophthalmol. 2015; 133: 449-454
- Readability, complexity, and suitability of online resources for mastectomy and lumpectomy.J Surg Res. 2017; 212: 214-221
- Readability of online patient educational materials related to breast lesions requiring surgery.Radiology. 2019; 291: 112-118
- Assessing the readability of online information about hip arthroscopy.Arthroscopy. 2018; 34: 2142-2149
Purcell K, Brenner J, Rainie L. Search engine use 2012. Pew Research Center Internet & Technology. http://www.pewinternet.org/2012/03/09/search-engineuse-2012/. Accessed July 1, 2019.
- Physician knowledge, Attitudes, and practices regarding breast Density.J Womens Health (Larchmt). 2019;