Rationale and Objectives
Materials and Methods
Abbreviations:CARE (Comprehensive Assessment Risk & Education), MRI (magnetic resonance imaging), NCCN (National Comprehensive Cancer Network), PCPs (Primary care providers), TC (Tyrer-Cuzick), VUS (Variant of uncertain significance)
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
National Cancer Institute. Cancer Stat Facts: Female Breast Cancer. Available at: https://seer.cancer.gov/statfacts/html/breast.html. Accessed October 26, 2020.
- Associations Between Cancer Predisposition Testing Panel Genes and Breast Cancer.JAMA Oncol. 2017; 3: 1190-1196
- Overview of the genetic basis toward early detection of breast cancer.Breast Cancer (Dove Med Press). 2019; 11: 71-80
- Risk of breast cancer in women with a CHEK2 mutation with and without a family history of breast cancer.J Clin Oncol. 2011; 29: 3747-3752
- American Society of Clinical Oncology Expert Statement: collection and use of a cancer family history for oncology providers.J Clin Oncol. 2014; 32: 833-840
National Comprehensive Cancer Network. Genetic/Familial High-Risk Assessment: Breast, Ovarian, and Pancreatic (version 1.2021). Available at: https://www.nccn.org/professionals/physician_gls/pdf/genetics_bop.pdf. Accessed October 26, 2020.
- Risk Assessment, Genetic Counseling, and Genetic Testing for BRCA-Related Cancer: US Preventive Services Task Force Recommendation Statement.JAMA. 2019; 322: 652-665
- Breast Cancer Screening in Women at Higher-Than-Average Risk: Recommendations From the ACR.J Am Coll Radiol. 2018; 15: 408-414
- Use of Endocrine Therapy for Breast Cancer Risk Reduction: ASCO Clinical Practice Guideline Update.J Clin Oncol. 2019; 37: 3152-3165
- Current knowledge of risk reducing mastectomy: Indications, techniques, results, benefits, harms.Breast. 2019; 46: 48-51
- Association of risk-reducing surgery in BRCA1 or BRCA2 mutation carriers with cancer risk and mortality.JAMA. 2010; 304: 967-975
- Interviews with primary care physicians regarding taking and interpreting the cancer family history.Fam Pract. 2008; 25: 334-340
- Cancer genetic risk assessment and referral patterns in primary care.Genet Test Mol Biomarkers. 2009; 13: 735-741
- The family history–more important than ever.N Engl J Med. 2004; 351: 2333-2336
- Provider Discussions of Genetic Tests With U.S. Women at Risk for a BRCA Mutation.Am J Prev Med. 2018; 54: 221-228
- Cancer risk assessment: quality and impact of the family history interview.Am J Prev Med. 2004; 27: 239-245
- A model for patient-direct screening and referral for familial cancer risk.Fam Cancer. 2016; 15: 707-716
- Sociodemographic, psychosocial and clinical factors associated with uptake of genetic counselling for hereditary cancer: a systematic review.Clin Genet. 2017; 92: 121-133
- Implementation of a risk assessment program in a breast-imaging community practice.Breast Cancer. 2016; 23: 273-278
- Why Is Cancer Genetic Counseling Underutilized by Women Identified as at Risk for Hereditary Breast Cancer? Patient Perceptions of Barriers Following a Referral Letter.J Genet Couns. 2017; 26: 697-715
- Breast Cancer Risk Assessment at the Time of Screening Mammography: Perceptions and Clinical Management Outcomes for Women at High Risk.J Genet Couns. 2017; 26: 776-784
- American Cancer Society guidelines for breast screening with MRI as an adjunct to mammography.CA Cancer J Clin. 2007; 57: 75-89
National Comprehensive Cancer Network. Genetic/Familial High-Risk Assessment: Colorectal (version 1.2020). Available at: https://www.nccn.org/professionals/physician_gls/pdf/genetics_colon.pdf. Accessed October 26, 2020.
- Population genetic screening for hereditary breast and ovarian cancer in at-risk patients: A novel testing and prevention model for community hospitals reveals high mutation rates rurally.J Clin Oncol. 2020; 38 (1575-1575)
- Hereditary Cancer Risk Assessment and Genetic Testing in the Community-Practice Setting.Obstet Gynecol. 2018; 132: 1121-1129
- Reasons women at elevated risk of breast cancer refuse breast MR imaging screening: ACRIN 6666.Radiology. 2010; 254: 79-87
- Trends in screening breast magnetic resonance imaging use among US women, 2006 to 2016.Cancer. 2020; 126: 5293-5302
- Results from MAGENTA: A national randomized four-arm noninferiority trial evaluating pre- and post-test genetic counseling during online testing for breast and ovarian cancer genetic risk.J Clin Oncol. 2020; 38 (1506-1506)
- A Web-Based Tool to Automate Portions of Pretest Genetic Counseling for Inherited Cancer.J Natl Compr Canc Netw. 2020; 18: 841-847
- Enhancing the Value Chain to Increase Customer Satisfaction and Build Successful Breast Imaging Practices.Journal of Breast Imaging. 2019; 1: 56-59
Declarations of interest: none.