Rationale and Objectives
Materials and Methods
Abbreviations:CNN (Convolutional neural network), NLP (Natural language processing), NIH (National institutes of health), PACS (Picture archiving and communications system), DICOM (Digital imaging and communications in medicine)
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
- Automated detection of moderate and large pneumothorax on frontal chest X-rays using deep convolutional neural networks: a retrospective study.PLoS Med. 2018; 15e1002697
- Pulmonary nodule detection in CT Images: false positive reduction using multi-view convolutional networks.IEEE Trans Med Imaging. 2016; 35: 1160-1169
- Deep learning at chest radiography: automated classification of pulmonary tuberculosis by using convolutional neural networks.Radiology. 2017; 284: 574-582
Rajpurkar P, Irvin J, Zhu K, et al. CheXNet: radiologist-level pneumonia detection on chest X-rays with deep learning. arXiv:1711.05225v3 [Preprint, cited 2018 May 21]. 2017. Available at: https://arxiv.org/abs/1711.05225v3
- Variable generalization performance of a deep learning model to detect pneumonia in chest radiographs: a cross-sectional study.PLoS Med. 2018; 15e1002683
- Convolutional neural networks: an overview and application in radiology.Insights Imaging. 2018; 9: 611-629
- Deep learning workflow in radiology: a primer.Insights Imaging. 2020; 11: 22
Gooßen A, Deshpande H, Harder T, et al. Deep learning for pneumothorax detection and localization in chest radiographs. arXiv:1907.07324v1 [Preprint, cited 2020 May 16]. 2019. Available at: https://arxiv.org/abs/1907.07324
Sze-To A, Wang Z. tCheXNet: Detecting Pneumothorax on Chest X-Ray Images Using Deep Transfer Learning. In: Karray F., Campilho A., Yu A. (eds) Image Analysis and Recognition. ICIAR 2019. Lecture Notes in Computer Science, vol 11663. Springer, Cham 2019.
- Effective pneumothorax detection for chest x-ray images using local binary pattern and support vector machine.J Healthc Eng. 2018; 2018: 2908517https://doi.org/10.1155/2018/2908517
Wang X, Peng Y, Lu L, Lu Z, Bagheri M, Summers RM (2017) ChestX-ray8: hospital-scale chest X-ray data- base and benchmarks on weakly-supervised classification and localization of common thorax diseases. arXiv:1705.02315v5 [Preprint, cited 2019 Oct 22]. Available at: https://arxiv.org/abs/1705.02315v5.
Irvin J, Rajpurkar P, Ko M, et al. Chexpert: a large chest radiograph dataset with uncertainty labels and expert comparison. arXiv:1901.07031v1 [Preprint, cited 2020 Apr 20]. 2019. Available at: https://arxiv.org/abs/1901.07031
- MIMIC-CXR, a de-identified publicly available database of chest radiographs with free-text reports.Sci Data. 2019; 6: 317
- Exploring large-scale public medical image datasets.Acad Radiol. 2020; 27: 106-112
- Comparison of deep learning approaches for multi-label chest x-ray classification.Sci Rep. 2019; 9: 6381
Yao L, Prosky J, Poblenz E, et al. Weakly supervised medical diagnosis and localization from multiple resolutions. arXiv:1803.07703v1 [Preprint, cited 2020 May 07]. 2018. Available at: https://arxiv.org/abs/1803.07703
Guendel S, Grbic S, Georgescu B, et al.Learning to recognize abnormalities in chest x-rays with location-aware dense networks. arXiv:1803.04565v1 [Preprint, cited 2020 Mar 20]. 2018. Available at: https://arxiv.org/abs/1803.04565
- Deep learning for chest radiograph diagnosis: a retrospective comparison of the CheXNeXt algorithm to practicing radiologists.PLoS Med. 2018; 15e1002686
- Application of deep learning–based computer-aided detection system: detecting pneumothorax on chest radiograph after biopsy.Eur Radiol. 2019; 29: 5341-5348
- Design characteristics of studies reporting the performance of artificial intelligence algorithms for diagnostic analysis of medical images: results from recently published papers.Korean J Radiol. 2019; 20: 405-410
- Choosing the number of controls in a matched case-control study, some sample size, power and efficiency considerations.Stat Med. 1986; 5: 29-36
- Management of spontaneous pneumothorax: British Thoracic Society pleural disease guideline 2010.Thorax. 2010; 65: ii18-ii31
- Deep residual learning for image recognition.in: IEEE Conf. Comput. Vis. Pattern Recognit. 2016: 770-778https://doi.org/10.1109/CVPR.2016.90
- Densely connected convolutional networks.in: 2017 IEEE Conference on Computer Vision and Pattern Recognition. 2017: 2261-2269https://doi.org/10.1109/CVPR.2017.243
Tan M, Le QV.Efficientnet: Rethinking model scaling for convolutional neural networks. arXiv:1905.11946v3 [Preprint, cited 2020 Mar 20]. 2019. Available at: https://arxiv.org/abs/1905.11946
- Learning Deep Features for Discriminative Localization.in: 2016 IEEE Conference on Computer Vision and Pattern Recognition. 2016: 2921-2929https://doi.org/10.1109/CVPR.2016.319
Selvaraju RR, Das A, Vedantam R, et al. Grad-CAM: why did you say that? visual explanations from deep networks via gradient-based localization. arXiv:1610.02391v4 [Preprint, cited 2020 Feb 13]. 2016.Available at: https://arxiv.org/abs/1610.02391
- Comparing the areas under 2 or more correlated receiver operating characteristic curves: a nonparametric approach.Biometrics. 1988; 44: 837-845
- The effect of image resolution on deep learning in radiography.Radiology: Artif Intell. 2020; 2e190015
Funding: This research is partially supported by Singapore National Medical Research Council (NMRC) Health Service Research Grant MOH-000030-00.