- •Multiparametric SWE values can be affected by lesion-dependent factors such as lesion margin, lesion size, and lesion depth from the skin in benign lesions.
- •The lesion's distance from the nipple, and breast quadrant localization do not have a significant effect on multiparametric SWE values for benign lesions.
- •Elastographically hard BI-RADS 4 lesions have a higher probability of malignancy than the standard risk values (2% –95%).
Rationale and Objectives
Materials and Methods
Abbreviations:SWE (Shear wave elastography), PPV (Positive predictive value), NPV (Negative predictive value), US (Ultrasonography), ACR (American College of Radiology), BI-RADS (Breast Imaging-Reporting and Data System), IDC (Invasive ductal carcinoma)
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
- Benign and malignant breast lesions identification through the values derived from shear wave elastography: evidence for the meta-analysis.Oncotarget. 2017; 8: 89173-89181https://doi.org/10.18632/oncotarget.21124
- Shear-wave elastography improves the specificity of breast US: the BE1 multinational study of 939 masses.Radiology. 2012; 262: 435-449https://doi.org/10.1148/radiol.11110640
- BI-RADS fifth edition: a summary of changes.Diagn Interv Imaging. 2017; 98: 179-190https://doi.org/10.1016/j.diii.2017.01.001
- Breast elastography: a new paradigm in diagnostic breast imaging.Appl Radiol. 2018; 47: 14-19
- Shear wave elastography for the diagnosis of small (≤2 cm) breast lesions: added value and factors associated with false results.Br J Radiol. 2019; 9220180341https://doi.org/10.1259/bjr.20180341
- Overweight, obesity and risk of premenopausal breast cancer according to ethnicity: a systematic review and dose-response meta-analysis.Obes Rev. 2013; 14: 665-678https://doi.org/10.1111/obr.12028
- Changes in the elasticity of fibroadenoma during the menstrual cycle determined by real-time sonoelastography.Eur J Radiol. 2015; 84: 1044-1048https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ejrad.2015.03.006
- Breast mass evaluation: factors influencing the quality of US elastography.Radiology. 2011; 259: 59-64https://doi.org/10.1148/radiol.10101414
- Factors influencing breast elasticity measured by the ultrasound shear wave elastography - preliminary results.Arch Med Sci. 2011; 7: 127-133https://doi.org/10.5114/aoms.2011.20617
- Form and function: how estrogen and progesterone regulate the mammary epithelial hierarchy.J Mammary Gland Biol Neoplasia. 2015; 20: 9-25https://doi.org/10.1007/s10911-015-9337-0
- Exploring association of breast pain, pregnancy, and body mass index with breast tissue elasticity in healthy women: glandular and fat differences.Diagnostics (Basel). 2020; 10: 393https://doi.org/10.3390/diagnostics10060393
- Mammary gland development.Wiley Interdiscip Rev Dev Biol. 2012; 1: 533-557https://doi.org/10.1002/wdev.35
- Breast development and anatomy.Clin Obstet Gynecol. 2011; 54: 91-95https://doi.org/10.1097/GRF.0b013e318207ffe9
- Factors influencing the stiffness of fibroadenomas at shear wave elastography.Clin Radiol. 2016; 71: 92-95https://doi.org/10.1016/j.crad.2015.10.029
- Invasive breast cancer: relationship between shear-wave elastographic findings and histologic prognostic factors.Radiology. 2012; 263: 673-677https://doi.org/10.1148/radiol.12111317
- Clinical application of shear wave elastography (SWE) in the diagnosis of benign and malignant breast diseases.Breast Cancer Res Treat. 2011; 129 (Epub 2011 Jun 17. PMID: 21681447): 89-97https://doi.org/10.1007/s10549-011-1627-7
- Ultrasound shear wave elastography of breast lesions: correlation of anisotropy with clinical and histopathological findings.Cancer Imaging. 2018; 18: 11https://doi.org/10.1186/s40644-018-0144-x
- Use of shear wave elastography to differentiate benign and malignant breast lesions.Diagn Interv Radiol. 2014; 20: 239-244https://doi.org/10.5152/dir.2014.13306
- Differentiating benign from malignant solid breast masses: value of shear wave elastography according to lesion stiffness combined with greyscale ultrasound according to BI-RADS classification.Br J Cancer. 2012; 107: 224-229https://doi.org/10.1038/bjc.2012.253
- Breast ultrasound elastography and magnetic resonance imaging of fibrotic changes of breast disease: correlations between elastography findings and pathologic and short Tau inversion recovery imaging results, including the enhancement ratio and apparent diffusion coefficient.J Comput Assist Tomogr. 2015; 39: 94-101https://doi.org/10.1097/RCT.0000000000000155
- Stiffness of the surrounding tissue of breast lesions evaluated by ultrasound elastography.Eur Radiol. 2014; 24: 1659-1667https://doi.org/10.1007/s00330-014-3152-7
- Predicting prognostic factors of breast cancer using shear wave elastography.Ultrasound Med Biol. 2014; 40: 269-274https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ultrasmedbio.2013.09.028
- Quantitative and qualitative evaluation of breast cancer prognosis: a sonographic elastography study.Med Sci Monit. 2019; 25: 9272-9279https://doi.org/10.12659/MSM.918806
- Stiffness of tumours measured by shear-wave elastography correlated with subtypes of breast cancer.Eur Radiol. 2013; 23: 2450-2458https://doi.org/10.1007/s00330-013-2866-2
- Breast carcinomas: variations in sonoelastographic appearance.Breast Cancer (Dove Med Press). 2014; 6: 135-143https://doi.org/10.2147/BCTT.S66110
- What are the characteristics of breast cancers misclassified as benign by quantitative ultrasound shear wave elastography?.Eur Radiol. 2014; 24: 921-926https://doi.org/10.1007/s00330-013-3079-4
- Evaluation of tumor stiffness by elastography is predictive for pathologic complete response to neoadjuvant chemotherapy in patients with breast cancer.Ann Surg Oncol. 2012; 19: 3042-3049https://doi.org/10.1245/s10434-012-2343-1
- Evaluation of the response of breast cancer patients to neoadjuvant chemotherapy by combined contrast-enhanced ultrasonography and ultrasound elastography.Exp Ther Med. 2019; 17: 3655-3663https://doi.org/10.3892/etm.2019.7353
- Shear-wave elastography of the breast: impact of technical image quality parameters on diagnostic accuracy.AJR Am J Roentgenol. 2021; 216: 1205-1215https://doi.org/10.2214/AJR.19.22728
- Visually assessed colour overlay features in shear-wave elastography for breast masses: quantification and diagnostic performance.Eur Radiol. 2013; 23: 658-663https://doi.org/10.1007/s00330-012-2647-3
Conflict of Interest: The authors declare that there is no conflict of interest.
Funding: The authors received no financial support for the research, authorship, and/or publication of this article.