- •There is a direct relationship between age, menopausal status, parity, mammographic breast density with elastographic breast stiffness.
- •All mpSWE values were found to be higher in nulliparous and post-menopausal women than premenopausal patients with prior parity.
- •The elastographic breast stiffness in type C and D breast density by mamography is higher than type A and B breast density.
Rationale and Objectives
Material and methods
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
- Épidémiologie des cancers du sein [Breast cancer epidemiology].Presse Med. 2019; 48: 1076-1084https://doi.org/10.1016/j.lpm.2019.09.022
- Incidence and mortality and epidemiology of breast cancer in the world.Asian Pac J Cancer Prev. 2016; 17: 43-46https://doi.org/10.7314/apjcp.2016.17.s3.43
- A comparative study of pre- and post-menopausal breast cancer: risk factors, presentation, characteristics and management.J Res Pharm Pract. 2014; 3: 12-18https://doi.org/10.4103/2279-042X.132704
- Diagnostic accuracy of four levels of manual compression applied in supersonic shear wave elastography of the breast.Acad Radiol. 2021; 28: 481-486https://doi.org/10.1016/j.acra.2020.03.012
- The role of shear wave elastography in differentiating idiopathic granulomatous mastitis from breast cancer.Acad Radiol. 2021; 28: 339-344https://doi.org/10.1016/j.acra.2020.02.008
Fenner J, Stacer AC, Winterroth F, et al. Macroscopic stiffness of breast tumors predicts metastasis. Sci Rep. 2014;4:5512. https://doi:10.1038/srep05512.
- Stiff stroma increases breast cancer risk by inducing the oncogene ZNF217.J Clin Invest. 2020; 130: 5721-5737https://doi.org/10.1172/JCI129249
- Evidence that breast tissue stiffness is associated with risk of breast cancer.PLoS One. 2014; 9e100937https://doi.org/10.1371/journal.pone.0100937
- Of extracellular matrix, scaffolds, and signaling: tissue architecture regulates development, homeostasis, and cancer.Annu Rev Cell Dev Biol. 2006; 22: 287-309
- Matrix crosslinking forces tumor progression by enhancing integrin signaling.Cell. 2009; 139: 891-906
- Collaborative group on hormonal factors in breast cancer. Menarche, menopause, and breast cancer risk: individual participant meta-analysis, including 118 964 women with breast cancer from 117 epidemiological studies.Lancet Oncol. 2012; 13: 1141-1151https://doi.org/10.1016/S1470-2045(12)70425-4
- Pregnancy and breast cancer: pathways to understand risk and prevention.Trends Mol Med. 2019; 25: 866-881https://doi.org/10.1016/j.molmed.2019.06.003
- DNA damage and breast cancer.World J Clin Oncol. 2011; 2: 329-338https://doi.org/10.5306/wjco.v2.i9.329
- Parity predisposes breasts to the oncogenic action of PAPP-A and activation of the collagen receptor DDR2.Breast Cancer Res. 2019; 21: 56https://doi.org/10.1186/s13058-019-1142-z
- LOXL2-mediated matrix remodeling in metastasis and mammary gland involution.Cancer Res. 2011; 71: 1561-1572
- Raised mammographic density: causative mechanisms and biological consequences.Breast Cancer Res. 2016; 18: 45https://doi.org/10.1186/s13058-016-0701-9
Dzoic Dominkovic M, Ivanac G, Bojanic K, et al. Exploring association of breast pain, pregnancy, and body mass index with breast tissue elasticity in healthy women: glandular and fat differences. Diagnostics (Basel). 2020;10(6):393. https://doi:10.3390/diagnostics10060393.
- Factors influencing breast elasticity measured by the ultrasound shear wave elastography - preliminary results.Arch Med Sci. 2011; 7: 127-133https://doi.org/10.5114/aoms.2011.20617
- Breast tissue composition and susceptibility to breast cancer.J Natl Cancer Inst. 2010; 102: 1224-1237
- Breast density and parenchymal patterns as markers of breast cancer risk: a meta-analysis.Cancer Epidemiol Biomarkers Prev. 2006; 15: 1159-1169
- High mammographic density is associated with an increase in stromal collagen and immune cells within the mammary epithelium.Breast Cancer Res. 2015; 17: 79
- Growth factors and stromal matrix proteins associated with mammographic densities.Cancer Epidemiol Biomarkers Prev. 2001; 10: 243-248
- Breast Imaging Reporting and Data System: ACR BI-RADS breast imaging atlas.5th ed. Va: American College of Radiology, Reston2013
- Multimodality imaging of breast parenchymal density and correlation with risk assessment.Curr Breast Cancer Rep. 2019; 11: 23-33
- Comparison of sonoelastographic values of breast tissue with mammographically and ultrasonically assessed density: a cross-sectional study.Croat Med J. 2020; 61: 223-229https://doi.org/10.3325/cmj.2020.61.223
- Breast density analysis with automated whole-breast ultrasound: comparison with 3-d magnetic resonance imaging.Ultrasound Med Biol. 2016; 42: 1211-1220https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ultrasmedbio.2015.12.015
- Mammographic density, parity and age at first birth, and risk of breast cancer: an analysis of four case-control studies.Breast Cancer Res Treat. 2012; 132: 1163-1171https://doi.org/10.1007/s10549-011-1929-9
- Left and right sided breast cancer.Pathol Res Pract. 1990; 186: 92-94https://doi.org/10.1016/S0344-0338(11)81015-0
- Lower incidence but more aggressive behavior of right sided breast cancer in Pakistani women: does right deserve more respect?.Asian Pac J Cancer Prev. 2013; 14: 43-45https://doi.org/10.7314/apjcp.2013.14.1.43
- Evaluation of the association between quantitative mammographic density and breast cancer occurred in different quadrants.BMC Cancer. 2017; 17: 274https://doi.org/10.1186/s12885-017-3270-0
- Why is carcinoma of the breast more frequent in the upper outer quadrant? A case series based on needle core biopsy diagnoses.Breast. 2005; 14: 151-152https://doi.org/10.1016/j.breast.2004.07.002