Rationale and Objectives
Materials and Methods
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
- A how-to guide: virtual interviews in the era of social distancing.J Surg Educ. 2021; 78: 321-323https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jsurg.2020.07.016
- The plastic surgery residency interview revisited: virtual interviews and beyond.Plast Reconstr Surg. 2020; 146: 1209-1211https://doi.org/10.1097/PRS.0000000000007321
- Brave new world: challenges and opportunities in the COVID-19 virtual interview season.Acad Radiol. 2020; 27: 1456-1460https://doi.org/10.1016/j.acra.2020.07.001
- COVID-19 and the radiology match: a residency program's survival guide to the virtual interview season.Acad Radiol. 2020; 27: 1294-1297https://doi.org/10.1016/j.acra.2020.06.023
- Direct comparison of in-person versus virtual interviews for complex general surgical oncology fellowship in the COVID-19 era.Ann Surg Oncol. 2021; 28: 1908-1915https://doi.org/10.1245/s10434-020-09398-2
- From beginning to end: a single radiology residency program's experience with web-based resident recruitment during COVID-19 and a review of the literature.Acad Radiol. 2021; 28: 1159-1168https://doi.org/10.1016/j.acra.2021.04.009
- Interviewing in the wake of COVID-19: how orthopaedic residencies, fellowships, and applicants should prepare for virtual interviews.J Am Acad Orthop Surg. 2020; (Published online December 10)https://doi.org/10.5435/JAAOS-D-20-01148
- Residency match during the COVID-19 pandemic: the clear and present danger of the remote interview.J Am Coll Radiol JACR. 2020; (Published online October 12)https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jacr.2020.10.005
- Video interviewing: a review and recommendations for implementation in the era of COVID-19 and beyond.Acad Radiol. 2020; 27: 1316-1322https://doi.org/10.1016/j.acra.2020.05.020
- Virtual interviews during COVID-19: perspectives of female pelvic medicine and reconstructive surgery program directors.Female Pelvic Med Reconstr Surg. 2020; (Published online October 20)https://doi.org/10.1097/SPV.0000000000000982
- Virtual interviews during COVID-19: the new norm for residency applicants.Ann Plast Surg. 2020; (Published online November 24)https://doi.org/10.1097/SAP.0000000000002662
- Virtual surgical fellowship recruitment during COVID-19 and its implications for resident/fellow recruitment in the future.Ann Surg Oncol. 2020; 27: 911-915https://doi.org/10.1245/s10434-020-08623-2
- Virtual interviews in the era of COVID-19: a primer for applicants.J Surg Educ. 2020; 77: 733-734https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jsurg.2020.03.020
Czawlytko C, Smith E, Awan O, et al. The effect of virtual interviews and social media on applicant decision-making during the 2020-2021 resident match cycle. Acad Radiol. Published online July 6, 2021:S1076-6332(21)00268-3. doi:10.1016/j.acra.2021.05.028
- Incorporation of a social virtual reality platform into the residency recruitment season.Acad Radiol. 2021; (Published online June 30, S1076-6332(21)00263-4)https://doi.org/10.1016/j.acra.2021.05.024
- Application fever: reviewing the causes, costs, and cures for residency application inflation.Cureus. 2021; 13: e13804https://doi.org/10.7759/cureus.13804
- Potential implications of COVID-19 for the 2020-2021 residency application cycle.JAMA. 2020; 324: 29-30https://doi.org/10.1001/jama.2020.8911
- U.S. Osteopathic, and Non-U.S. Medical Schools, 2021 (Published online August 27) Recommendations on 2021-22 Residency Season Interviewing for Medical Education Institutions Considering Applicants from LCME-Accredited.
- Duped: truth-default theory and the social science of lying and deception.The University of Alabama Press, Tuscalossa, AL2020: 2020 (In: The University of Alabama Press)
National Resident Match Program (NRMP). Results of the 2019 NRMP applicant survey by preferred specialty and applicant type. Published online July 2019. Available at: https://mk0nrmp3oyqui6wqfm.kinstacdn.com/wp-content/uploads/2019/06/Applicant-Survey-Report-2019.pdf. Accessed August 10, 2021
National Resident Match Program (NRMP). Results of the 2009 NRMP applicant survey by preferred specialty and applicant type. Published online July 2009. Available at: https://mk0nrmp3oyqui6wqfm.kinstacdn.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/08/applicantresultsbyspecialty2009.pdf?utm_medium=email&utm_source=transaction. Accessed August 10, 2021.
J Youngclaus, JA. Fresne. Physician education debt and the cost to attend medical school: 2020 update. Published online October 2020. Available at: https://store.aamc.org/downloadable/download/sample/sample_id/368/. Accessed August 15, 2021.
Association of American Medical Colleges (AAMC). Fees for ERAS residency applications. Available at: https://students-residents.aamc.org/applying-residencies-eras/fees-eras-residency-applications. Accessed August 19, 2021.
- The cost of getting into orthopedic residency: analysis of applicant demographics, expenditures, and the value of away rotations.J Surg Educ. 2016; 73: 886-891https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jsurg.2016.04.003
- Survey of applicant experience and cost in the urology match: opportunities for reform.J Urol. 2015; 194: 1063-1067https://doi.org/10.1016/j.juro.2015.04.074
- Not a cheap investment: estimating the cost of the 2017 to 2018 ophthalmology residency match to the applicant and program.J Acad Ophthalmol. 2018; 10: 158-162
AMSER Guide to Applying to Radiology Residency. 1, 2018. Accessed August 18, 2021.
- The price of fear: an ethical dilemma underscored in a virtual residency interview season.J Grad Med Educ. 2021; 13: 316-320https://doi.org/10.4300/JGME-D-20-01411.1
Association of American Medical Colleges (AAMC). The cost of interviewing for residency. Published February 26, 2021. Available at: https://students-residents.aamc.org/financial-aid-resources/cost-interviewing-residency. Accessed August 15, 2021.
- Financial burden associated with the residency match in neurological surgery.J Neurosurg. 2017; 126: 184-190https://doi.org/10.3171/2015.12.JNS15488
- The economic burden of residency interviews on applicants.Iowa Orthop J. 2018; 38: 9-15
- Financial implications of the emergency medicine interview process.AEM Educ Train. 2017; 1: 60-69https://doi.org/10.1002/aet2.10011
- How has COVID-19 affected the costs of the surgical fellowship interview process?.J Surg Educ. 2020; 77: 999-1004https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jsurg.2020.05.018
- The carbon footprint of residency interview travel.J Grad Med Educ. 2021; 13: 89-94https://doi.org/10.4300/JGME-D-20-00418.1
- The carbon footprint of residency interviews.Acad Med J Assoc Am Med Coll. 2021; 96: 932https://doi.org/10.1097/ACM.0000000000004096
- The cost of one residency position: a studio apartment of sea ice.Acad Med J Assoc Am Med Coll. 2020; 95: e6-e7https://doi.org/10.1097/ACM.0000000000003593
Otolaryngology Program Directors Association. Otolaryngology Preference Signaling. Available at: https://opdo-hns.org/mpage/signaling. Accessed August 6, 2021.
Association of American Medical Colleges (AAMC). Frequently asked questions for applicants: preference signaliing. Available at: https://students-residents.aamc.org/applying-residencies-eras/frequently-asked-questions-applicants?topic=preference-signaling. Accessed August 19, 2021.
- Relationship between the number of residency applications and the yearly match rate: Time to start thinking about an application limit?.J Grad Med Educ. 2015; 7: 81-85https://doi.org/10.4300/JGME-D-14-00270.1
- Improving the match: use of preference signaling to optimize the urology match interview process.Urology. 2021; 154: 57-61https://doi.org/10.1016/j.urology.2021.01.042
Association of Professors of Gynecology & Obstetrics (APGO). Transforming the UME to GME transition: right resident, right program, ready day one. Available at: https://apgo.org/page/transformingtheumetogmetransition. Accessed August 19, 2021.
Association of American Medical Colleges (AAMC). Apply smart: data to consider when applying to residency. Available at: https://students-residents.aamc.org/apply-smart-residency/apply-smart-data-consider-when-applying-residency. Accessed August 19, 2021.
National Resident Match Program (NRMP). 2021 Main residency match results. Published May 26, 2021. Available at: https://www.nrmp.org/main-residency-match-data/. Accessed August 1, 2021.
Disclaimer: Participation in this project is as a diagnostic radiologist and Residency Program Director and not as a member of the ACGME Review Committee for Radiology, of which Dr. Chapman is a member. Opinions expressed in this manuscript do not reflect opinions or decisions of the Review Committee.