As we move toward personalized medicine and in the setting of what is increasingly understood as a heterogeneous disease, breast imaging is poised to play a key role in breast cancer. In addition to its well-established diagnostic utility, breast imaging has the potential to predict response to treatment and aid in therapy modulation.
To read this article in full you will need to make a payment
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to Academic Radiology
Already a print subscriber? Claim online access
Already an online subscriber? Sign in
Register: Create an account
Institutional Access: Sign in to ScienceDirect
- Meeting highlights: international consensus panel on the treatment of primary breast cancer. Seventh international conference on adjuvant therapy of primary breast cancer.J Clin Oncol. 2001; 19: 3817-3827
- Capecitabine in addition to anthracycline- and taxane-based neoadjuvant treatment in patients with primary breast cancer: phase III GeparQuattro study.J Clin Oncol. 2010; 28: 2015-2023
- The use of alternate, non-cross-resistant adjuvant chemotherapy on the basis of pathologic response to a neoadjuvant doxorubicin-based regimen in women with operable breast cancer: long-term results from a prospective randomized trial.J Clin Oncol. 2004; 22: 2294-2302
- Clinically relevant modeling of tumor growth and treatment response.Sci Transl Med. 2013; 5: 187ps9
- Intensified neoadjuvant chemotherapy in early-responding breast cancer: phase III randomized GeparTrio study.J Natl Cancer Inst. 2008; 100: 552-562
- What is the diagnostic performance of 18-FDG-PET/MR compared to PET/CT for the N- and M- staging of breast cancer?.Eur Radiol. 2019; 29: 1787-1798
- HER2 expression and efficacy of preoperative paclitaxel/FAC chemotherapy in breast cancer.Breast Cancer Res Treat. 2008; 108: 183-190
- The diagnostic performance of minimally invasive biopsy in predicting breast pathological complete response after neoadjuvant systemic therapy in breast cancer: a meta-analysis.Front Oncol. 2020; 10: 933
- The role of PET CT to evaluate the response to neoadjuvant chemotherapy in advanced breast cancer: comparison with ultrasonography and magnetic resonance imaging.J Surg Oncol. 2010; 102: 392-397
- Meta-analysis of quantitative dynamic contrast-enhanced MRI for the assessment of neoadjuvant chemotherapy in breast cancer.Am Surg. 2019; 85: 645-653
- Multimodality imaging for evaluating response to neoadjuvant chemotherapy in breast cancer.AJR Am J Roentgenol. 2017; 208: 290-299
- Diffusion weighted MR imaging of the breast.Acad Radiol. 2010; 17: 382-386
- Diffusion-weighted imaging in identifying breast cancer pathological response to neoadjuvant chemotherapy: a meta-analysis.Oncotarget. 2018; 9: 7088-7100
- Diffusion-weighted MRI findings predict pathologic response in neoadjuvant treatment of breast cancer: the ACRIN 6698 multicenter trial.Radiology. 2018; 289: 618-627
- Can diffusion-weighted magnetic resonance imaging (DW-MRI) alone be used as a reliable sequence for the preoperative detection and characterisation of hepatic metastases? A meta-analysis.Eur J Cancer. 2013; 49: 572-584
- Mean apparent diffusion coefficient is a sufficient conventional diffusion-weighted MRI metric to improve breast MRI diagnostic performance: results from the ECOG-ACRIN cancer research group A6702 diffusion imaging trial.Radiology. 2021; 298: 60-70
- Nomogram for early prediction of pathological complete response to neoadjuvant chemotherapy in breast cancer using dynamic contrast-enhanced and diffusion- weighted MRI.Acad Radiol. 2022;
- Diffusion-weighted imaging of the breast-a consensus and mission statement from the EUSOBI International Breast Diffusion-Weighted Imaging working group.Eur Radiol. 2020; 30: 1436-1450
RSNAQuantitativeImagingBiomarkersAlliance. QIBAProfile:Diffusion- Weighted Magnetic Resonance Imaging (DWI). Available at: https://qibawiki.rsna.org/index.php/Profiles. Accessed November 20, 2021.
- Factors affecting image quality and lesion evaluability in breast diffusion-weighted MRI: observations from the ECOG-ACRIN cancer research group multisite trial (A6702).J Breast Imaging. 2021; 3: 44-56
- A comparison of methods for high-spatial-resolution diffusion-weighted imaging in breast MRI.Radiology. 2020; 297: 304-312
Published online: January 13, 2022
Accepted: December 17, 2021
Received: December 16, 2021
© 2021 The Association of University Radiologists. Published by Elsevier Inc. All rights reserved.