Radiologists throughout the decades have introduced, developed, and advanced the use of ultrasound in evaluation of the musculoskeletal system, first evaluating the rotator cuff in 1977 (
1). With the development of improved equipment producing high resolution imaging, ultrasound plays a significant role in musculoskeletal imaging complementing, and at times rivaling other imaging methods such as MR imaging for specific indications (
- Mayer V.
Ultrasonography of the rotator cuff.
J Ultrasound Med. 1985; 4: 608
- Nazarian LN.
The top 10 reasons musculoskeletal sonography is an important complementary or alternative technique to MRI.
AJR Am J Roentgenol. 2008; 190: 1621-1626
- Jacobson JA.
Musculoskeletal sonography and MR imaging. A role for both imaging methods.
Radiol Clin North Am. 1999; 37: 713-735
4). Additionally, musculoskeletal ultrasound is now an important modality not only for the diagnosis of musculoskeletal disorders but also for guiding diagnostic and therapeutic interventions including injections and biopsies (
- Jacobson JA.
Musculoskeletal ultrasound and MRI: which do I choose?.
Semin Musculoskelet Radiol. 2005; 9: 135-149
- Joines MM
- Motamedi K
- Seeger LL
- et al.
Musculoskeletal interventional ultrasound.
Semin Musculoskelet Radiol. 2007; 11: 192-198
To read this article in full you will need to make a payment
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to Academic Radiology
Already a print subscriber? Claim online access
Already an online subscriber? Sign in
Register: Create an account
Institutional Access: Sign in to ScienceDirect
- Ultrasonography of the rotator cuff.J Ultrasound Med. 1985; 4: 608
- The top 10 reasons musculoskeletal sonography is an important complementary or alternative technique to MRI.AJR Am J Roentgenol. 2008; 190: 1621-1626
- Musculoskeletal sonography and MR imaging. A role for both imaging methods.Radiol Clin North Am. 1999; 37: 713-735
- Musculoskeletal ultrasound and MRI: which do I choose?.Semin Musculoskelet Radiol. 2005; 9: 135-149
- Musculoskeletal interventional ultrasound.Semin Musculoskelet Radiol. 2007; 11: 192-198
- Noncardiac point-of-care ultrasound by nonradiologist physicians: how widespread is it?.J Am Coll Radiol. 2011; 8: 772-775
- AIUM practice guideline for the performance of a musculoskeletal ultrasound examination.J Ultrasound Med. 2012; 31: 1473-1488
- Denying payments for musculoskeletal ultrasound: how did we get here?.J Am Coll Radiol. 2010; 7: 553-556
- American medical society for sports medicine (AMSSM) position statement: interventional musculoskeletal ultrasound in sports medicine.Br J Sports Med. 2015; 49: 145-150
- IMpact of Platelet Rich plasma OVer alternative therapies in patients with lateral Epicondylitis (IMPROVE): protocol for a multicenter randomized controlled study: a multicenter, randomized trial comparing autologous platelet-rich plasma, autologous whole blood, dry needle tendon fenestration, and physical therapy exercises alone on pain and quality of life in patients with lateral epicondylitis.Acad Radiol. 2014; 21: 1144-1155
- The increasing role of nonradiologists in performing ultrasound-guided invasive procedures.J Am Coll Radiol. 2013; 10: 859-863
- Minimally invasive ultrasound-guided carpal tunnel release improves long-term clinical outcomes in carpal tunnel syndrome.AJR Am J Roentgenol. 2021; 217: 460-468
- Musculoskeletal sonography: a dynamic tool for usual and unusual disorders.AJR Am J Roentgenol. 2007; 188: W63-W73
- Sonography and radiography of soft-tissue foreign bodies.AJR Am J Roentgenol. 2001; 176: 1155-1159
- Sonography and MRI of the shoulder: comparison of patient satisfaction.AJR Am J Roentgenol. 2004; 183: 1449-1452
- Musculoskeletal ultrasound: focused impact on MRI.AJR Am J Roentgenol. 2009; 193: 619-627
- Musculoskeletal imaging: medicare use, costs, and potential for cost substitution.J Am Coll Radiol. 2008; 5: 182-188
- Comparative trends in utilization of MRI and ultrasound to evaluate nonspine joint disease 2003 to 2015.J Am Coll Radiol. 2018; 15: 402-407
- RSNA committee on international radiology education: 25 years of global education outreach.Radiographics. 2020; 40: 1938-1952
Published online: March 01, 2022
Accepted: January 24, 2022
Received in revised form: January 24, 2022
Received: January 19, 2022
© 2022 The Association of University Radiologists. Published by Elsevier Inc. All rights reserved.