Rationale and Objectives
Materials and Methods
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
- Standardized letter of recommendation for otolaryngology residency selection.Laryngoscope. 2013; 123 (Epub 2012 Nov 21. PMID: 23172646; PMCID: PMC3643334): 123-133https://doi.org/10.1002/lary.23866
- Letters of recommendation to an otolaryngology/head and neck surgery residency program: their function and the role of gender.Laryngoscope. 2008; 118 (PMID: 18596564): 1335-1344https://doi.org/10.1097/MLG.0b013e318175337e
- A retrospective analysis comparing the new standardized letter of recommendation in dermatology with the classic narrative letter of recommendation.J Clin Aesthet Dermatol. 2016; 9 (Epub 2016 Sep 1. PMID: 27878060; PMCID: PMC5110327): 36-42
- Does medical school performance predict radiology resident performance?.Acad Radiol. 2002; 9 (PMID: 11942658): 437-445https://doi.org/10.1016/s1076-6332(03)80189-7
- Use of standardized letters of recommendation for otolaryngology head and neck surgery residency and the impact of gender.Laryngoscope. 2017; 127 (Epub 2017 Aug 8. PMID: 28786169): 2738-2745https://doi.org/10.1002/lary.26619
- Evaluating the standardized letter of recommendation form in applicants to orthopaedic surgery residency.J Am Acad Orthop Surg. 2020; 28 (PMID: 31868837): 814-822https://doi.org/10.5435/JAAOS-D-19-00423
- Use of standardized letters of recommendation for orthopaedic surgery residency applications: a single-institution retrospective review.J Bone Joint Surg Am. 2020; 102 (PMID: 31596798): e14https://doi.org/10.2106/JBJS.19.00130
- The standardized letter of evaluation for postgraduate training: a concept whose time has come?.Acad Med. 2016; 91 (PMID: 27603036): 1480-1482https://doi.org/10.1097/ACM.0000000000001352
- Council of emergency medicine residency directors' standardized letter of recommendation: the program director's perspective.Acad Emerg Med. 2014; 21 (PMID: 25039553): 680-687https://doi.org/10.1111/acem.12384
- Emergency medicine standardized letter of evaluation (SLOE): findings from the new electronic SLOE format.J Grad Med Educ. 2019; 11 (PMID: 31024650; PMCID: PMC6476101): 182-186https://doi.org/10.4300/JGME-D-18-00344.1
Otolaryngology SLOR 2014 revision can be found at the Otolaryngology Program Directors Organization website by following this link: Microsoft Word - OTO_Standardized_Letter_of_Rec-rev 2014 v.2.docx (ymaws.com) or by going to:opdo-hns.org/resource/resmgr/oto_standardized_letter_of_r.pdf
JA Kaffenberger shared the Dermatology SLOR via email communication with CWT Carrico in 2017.
Standardized letter of evaluation used by emergency medicine was shared with CWT Carrico via email communication with Jeffrey N Love 2017 and by Jennifer S Jackson via email with CWT Carrico in 2021.
- Evaluating a grading change at UCSD school of medicine: pass/fail grading is associated with decreased performance on preclinical exams but unchanged performance on USMLE step 1 scores.BMC Med Educ. 2014; 14 (Erratum in: BMC Med Educ. 2015;15:114. PMID: 24980918; PMCID: PMC4083104): 127https://doi.org/10.1186/1472-6920-14-127
- Relationship of pass/fail grading and curriculum structure with well-being among preclinical medical students: a multi-institutional study.Acad Med. 2011; 86 (PMID: 21952063): 1367-1373https://doi.org/10.1097/ACM.0b013e3182305d81