Rationale and Objectives
Materials and Methods
Abbreviations:AUC-PR (area under the precision-recall curve), ACU-ROC (area under the receiver operating characteristic curve), CI (confidence interval), FDR (false discovery rate), GPU (graphics processing unit), ILSVRC2012 (ImageNet Large Scale Visual Recognition Challenge 2012), MrOS (Osteoporotic Fractures in Men), NPV (negative predictive value), OCF (osteoporotic compression fracture), PPV (positive predictive value), PR (precision-recall), SQ (semiquantitative)
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
- Osteoporosis or low bone mass at the femur neck or lumbar spine in older adults, United States, 2005-2008.NCHS Data Brief. 2012; 93: 1-8
- on behalf of the World Health Organization Scientific Group. Assessment of osteoporosis at the primary health-care level. Technical Report.WHO Collaborating Centre for Metabolic Bone Diseases, University of Sheffield, UK2007
- 10-year probability of recurrent fractures following wrist and other osteoporotic fractures in a large clinical cohort: an analysis from the Manitoba Bone Density Program.JAMA Int Med. 2008; 168: 2261-2267
- The world health organization Fracture Risk Assessment Tool (FRAX) underestimates incident and recurrent fractures in consecutive patients with fragility fractures.J Clin Endocrinol Metab. 2014; 99: 2400-2408
- Refractures in patients at least forty-five years old: a prospective analysis of twenty-two thousand and sixty patients.J Bone Joint Surg Am. 2002; 84: 1528-1533
- Mortality after all major types of osteoporotic fracture in men and women: an observational study.Lancet North Am Ed. 1999; 353: 878-882
- Compliance with mammography and bone mineral density screening in women at least 50 years old.Menopause. 2011; 18: 794-801
- Are men at high risk for osteoporosis underscreened? A quality improvement project.Perm J. 2016; 20: 60-64
- Medicare payment cuts for osteoporosis testing reduced use despite tests’ benefit in reducing fractures.Health Aff. 2011; 30: 2362-2370
- Opportunistic screening for osteoporosis using abdominal computed tomography scans obtained for other indications.Ann Intern Med. 2013; 158: 588-595
- Clinical use of opportunistic computed tomography screening for osteoporosis.JBJS. 2018; 100: 2073-2081
- Opportunistic screening for osteoporosis by routine CT in Southern Europe.Osteopor Int. 2017; 28: 983-990
- Opportunistic screening for osteoporosis in abdominal computed tomography for Chinese population.Arch Osteopor. 2018; 13: 1-7
- Opportunistic screening using low-dose CT and the prevalence of osteoporosis in China: a nationwide, multicenter study.J Bone Miner Res. 2021; 36: 427-435
- Opportunistic osteoporosis screening in multi-detector CT images using deep convolutional neural networks.Eur Radiol. 2021; 31: 1831-1842
- Machine learning model to predict osteoporotic spine with hounsfield units on lumbar computed tomography.J Korean Neurosurg Soc. 2019; 62: 442-449
- Automatic opportunistic osteoporosis screening in routine CT: improved prediction of patients with prevalent vertebral fractures compared to DXA.Eur Radiol. 2021; 31: 6069-6077
- Prediction of bone mineral density from computed tomography: application of deep learning with a convolutional neural network.Eur Radiol. 2020; 30: 3549-3557
- Compression fractures detection on CT.in: Proceedings of SPIE Medical Imaging: Computer-Aided Diagnosis. International Society for Optics and Photonics, Orlando, FL20171013440
- Automated deep learning-based detection of osteoporotic fractures in CT images.in: Proceedings of Machine Learning in Medical Imaging. Springer, Strasbourg, France. Cham, Switzerland2021: 376-385
- Conditioned variational auto-encoder for detecting osteoporotic vertebral fractures.in: Proceedings of the International Workshop and Challenge on Computational Methods and Clinical Applications for Spine Imaging. Springer, Granada, Spain. Cham, Switzerland2019: 29-38
- Deep neural networks for automatic detection of osteoporotic vertebral fractures on CT scans.Comput Biol Med. 2018; 98: 8-15
- The exploration of feature extraction and machine learning for predicting bone density from simple spine X-ray images in a Korean population.Skeletal Radiol. 2020; 49: 613-618
- Deep learning of lumbar spine X-ray for osteopenia and osteoporosis screening: A multicenter retrospective cohort study.Bone. 2020; 140115561
- Artificial intelligence for the detection of vertebral fractures on plain spinal radiography.Sci Rep. 2020; 10: 1-8
- Ground truth generalizability affects performance of the artificial intelligence model in automated vertebral fracture detection on plain lateral radiographs of the spine.Spine J. 2022; 22: 511-523https://doi.org/10.1016/j.spinee.2021.10.020
- IMV reports general X-ray procedures growing at 5.5% per year, as number of installed X-ray units declines.CISION PRWeb. 2020; (Accessed October 22)
- DXA in vivo BMD methodology: an erroneous and misleading research and clinical gauge of bone mineral status, bone fragility, and bone remodelling.Bone. 2007; 41: 138-154
- Variability in DXA reporting and other challenges in osteoporosis evaluation.JAMA Intern. Med. 2016; 176: 393-395
- Unreported vertebral body compression fractures at abdominal multidetector CT.Radiology. 2013; 268: 120-126
- A Guide to Convolutional Neural Networks for Computer Vision.Morgan & Claypool, 2018
- Going deeper with convolutions.in: Proceedings of the IEEE Conference on Computer Vision and Pattern Recognition. IEEE Computer Society, Boston, MA. Washington, D.C.2015: 1-9
- Benchmark analysis of representative deep neural network architectures.IEEE Access. 2018; 6: 64270-64277
- Design and baseline characteristics of the osteoporotic fractures in men (MrOS) study-a large observational study of the determinants of fracture in older men.Contemp Clin Trials. 2005; 26: 569-585
- Osteoporotic Fractures in Men (MrOS) Research Group. Methods and reliability of radiographic vertebral fracture detection in older men: the osteoporotic fractures in men study.Bone. 2014; 67: 152-155
- Vertebral fracture assessment using a semiquantitative technique.J Bone Miner Res. 1993; 8: 1137-1148
- Digital Image Processing.4th ed. Pearson, New York, NY2018
imgaug: Read the Docs. https://imgaug.readthedocs.io/en/latest/source/api_imgaug.html. Updated 2020. Accessed September 7, 2020.
TensorFlow. https://www.tensorflow.org. Accessed July 25, 2020.
- TF-Slim: a high level library to define complex models in TensorFlow.Google AI Blog. 2020; (Published August 30, 2016. Accessed July 25)
GoogLeNet-Inception. GitHub. https://github.com/conan7882/GoogLeNet-Inception. Accessed February 5, 2022.
TensorFlow Model Garden. GitHub. https://github.com/tensorflow/models. Updated July 24, 2020. Accessed July 25, 2020.
- ImageNet large scale visual recognition challenge.IJCV. 2015; 115: 211-252
- Delving deep into rectifiers: surpassing human-level performance on ImageNet classification.in: Proceedings of the IEEE international conference on computer vision. IEEE Computer Society, Las Condes, Chile. Washington, D.C.2015: 1026-1034
- Adam: a method for stochastic optimization.in: Proceedings of the 3rd International Conference on Learning Representations. NY: Association for Computing Machinery, San Diego, CA. New York2015
tf.nn.weighted_cross_entropy_with_logits. TensorFlow. https://www.tensorflow.org/api_docs/python/tf/nn/weighted_cross_entropy_with_logits. Accessed September 7, 2020.
- Deep Learning.MIT press, Cambridge, MA2016
- The relationship between precision-recall and ROC curves.in: Proceedings of the 23rd International Conference on Machine learning. New York, NY: Association for Computing Machinery, Pittsburgh, PA2006: 233-240
- Comparative analysis of the radiology of osteoporotic vertebral fractures in women and men: cross-sectional and longitudinal observations from the Canadian Multicentre Osteoporosis study (CaMos).J Bone Miner Res. 2018; 33: 569-579
- Deep residual learning for image recognition.in: Proceedings of the IEEE conference on computer vision and pattern recognition. IEEE Computer Society, Las Vegas, NV. Washington, D.C.2016: 770-778