Rationale and Objectives
This study aimed to explore the effect of iron deposition on native T1 mapping and blood oxygen level-dependent (BOLD) imaging in detecting liver fibrosis (LF) in a rabbit model.
Materials and Methods
An LF group (n = 100) was established by subcutaneously injecting 50% carbon tetrachloride (CCl4) oil solution, and 20 normal rabbits composed a control group. Native T1 mapping and BOLD were performed, and the T1native and R2* quantitative parameters were analyzed by receiver operating characteristic (ROC) and multiple logistic regression analyses, with histopathological results and liver iron content (LIC) serving as reference standards.
In total, 18, 17, 16, 18, and 15 rabbits were histopathologically diagnosed with LF stages F0, F1, F2, F3, and F4, respectively. T1native (r = 0.47), R2* (r = 0.75) and LIC (r = 0.61) increased with LF stage progression (p < 0.001). Compared to T1native values, R2* performed better in diagnosing the LF stage, especially for distinguishing F1-F2 from F3-F4 (AUC = 0.66 vs. 0.91, p = 0.01). Combined with the LIC, both T1native and R2* showed improved diagnostic value in comparison to the individual imaging techniques, particularly for diagnosing F0 vs. F1-F2 and F0 vs. F1-F4, with AUC values of 0.90 vs. 0.70 (p = 0.01) and 0.93 vs. 0.77 (p = 0.01) for T1native + LIC vs. LIC, respectively.
BOLD imaging performed better than native T1 mapping in predicting and diagnosing LF stage progression. The decrease in diagnostic accuracy caused by the deposition of liver iron is a potential pitfall in the assessment of LF with BOLD imaging and native T1 mapping.
To read this article in full you will need to make a payment
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to Academic Radiology
Already a print subscriber? Claim online access
Already an online subscriber? Sign in
Register: Create an account
Institutional Access: Sign in to ScienceDirect
- Molecular mechanisms and potential new therapeutic drugs for liver fibrosis.Front Pharmacol. 2022; 13787748
- Novel therapeutic targets in liver fibrosis.Front Mol Biosci. 2021; 8766855
- Liver fibrosis determination.Gastroenterol Clin North Am. 2019; 48: 281-289
- Medical liver biopsy: background, indications, procedure and histopathology.Frontline Gastroenterol. 2020; 11: 40-47
- T1 Mapping: Basic techniques and clinical applications.JACC Cardiovasc imaging. 2016; 9: 67-81
- Radiomics of non-contrast-enhanced T1 mapping: Diagnostic and predictive performance for myocardial injury in acute ST-segment-elevation myocardial infarction.Korean J Radiol. 2021; 22: 535-546
- Methods of blood oxygen level-dependent magnetic resonance imaging analysis for evaluating renal oxygenation.Kidney Blood Press Res. 2018; 43: 378-388
- Iron and liver fibrosis: Mechanistic and clinical aspects.World J Gastroenterol. 2019; 25: 521-538
- Assessment of cardiac iron overload in Thalassemia with MRI on 3.0-T: high-field T1, T2, and T2* quantitative parametric mapping in comparison to T2* on 1.5-T.JACC Cardiovasc imaging. 2019; 12: 752-754
- Comparing and combining MRE, T1ρ, SWI, IVIM, and DCE-MRI for the staging of liver fibrosis in rabbits: Assessment of a predictive model based on multiparametric MRI.Magn Reson Med. 2022; 87: 2424-2435
- Advances in non-invasive assessment of hepatic fibrosis.Gut. 2020; 69: 1343-1352
- Comparison of diffusion-weighted imaging and MR elastography in staging liver fibrosis: a meta-analysis.Abdom Radiol. 2021; 46: 3889-3907
- MRE and ELF in liver fibrosis assessment: are two better than one?.Dig Dis Sci. 2020; 65: 928-930
- Diagnostic potential of T1ρ and T2 relaxations in assessing the severity of liver fibrosis and necro-inflammation.Magn Reson Imaging. 2022; 87: 104-112
- Dynamic contrast-enhanced MRI with Gd-EOB-DTPA for the quantitative assessment of early-stage liver fibrosis induced by carbon tetrachloride in rabbits.Magn Reson Imaging. 2020; 70: 57-63
- Improving the robustness of MOLLI T1 maps with a dedicated motion correction algorithm.Sci Rep. 2021; 11: 18546
- Assessment of liver fibrosis using T1 mapping on Gd-EOB-DTPA-enhanced magnetic resonance.Dig Dis Sci. 2017; 49: 789-795
- Hepatic magnetic resonance T1-mapping and extracellular volume fraction compared to shear-wave elastography in pediatric Fontan-associated liver disease.Pediatri radiol. 2021; 51: 66-76
- Serum ferritin levels are associated with advanced liver fibrosis in treatment-naive autoimmune hepatitis.BMC Gastroenterol. 2022; 22: 23
- Iron deposition quantification: applications in the brain and liver.J Magn Reson Imaging. 2018; 48: 301-317
- Determination of hepatic iron deposition in drug-induced liver fibrosis in rats by confocal micro-XRF spectrometry.ACS Ogema. 2022; 27: 3738-3745
- Liver fibrosis-from mechanisms of injury to modulation of disease.Front Med. 2021; 8814496
- Quantitative BOLD imaging at 3T: Temporal changes in hepatocellular carcinoma and fibrosis following oxygen challenge.J Magn Reson Imaging. 2016; 44: 739-744
- Carbogen gas-challenge BOLD MR imaging in a rat model of diethylnitrosamine-induced liver fibrosis.Radiology. 2010; 254: 129-137
- Whole-liver histogram analysis of blood oxygen level-dependent functional magnetic resonance imaging in evaluating hepatic fibrosis.Ann Palliait Med. 2021; 10: 2567-2576
- R2 and R2* MRI assessment of liver iron content in an undifferentiated diagnostic population with hyperferritinaemia, and impact on clinical decision making.Eur J Radiol. 2021; 135109473
- Myocardial iron overload by cardiovascular magnetic resonance native segmental T1 mapping: a sensitive approach that correlates with cardiac complications.J Cardiovasc Magn Reson. 2021; 23: 70
- The effect of gadolinium-based contrast agents on longitudinal changes of magnetic resonance imaging signal intensities and relaxation times in the aging rat brain.Invest Radiol. 2022; 57: 453-462
- Effect of hepatic steatosis on native T1 mapping of 3T magnetic resonance imaging in the assessment of T1 values for patients with non-alcoholic fatty liver disease.Magn Reson Imaging. 2021; 80: 1-8
- T1 and T2 mapping to detect chronic inflammation in cardiac magnetic resonance imaging in heart failure with reduced ejection fraction.ESC Heart Fail. 2020; 27: 2544-2552
Published online: July 07, 2022
Accepted: June 8, 2022
Received in revised form: June 1, 2022
Received: April 19, 2022
© 2022 The Association of University Radiologists. Published by Elsevier Inc. All rights reserved.