- •Key Finding: Despite numerous departmental initiatives intended to improve culture, workplace efficiency, work-life balance, and personal wellness, self-reported burnout among academic medical center radiologists showed no measurable improvement over time.
- •Importance: Physician and employee wellness embedded into institutional culture may be more effective than local departmental improvement initiatives.
Rationale and Objectives
Materials and Methods
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
- Physician burnout: contributors, consequences, and solutions.J Intern Med. 2018; 283: 516-529
- A narrative review on burnout experienced by medical students and residents.Med Educ. 2016; 50: 132-149
- Burnout among US medical students, residents, and early career physicians relative to the general US population.Acad Med. 2014; 89: 51
- Quality of life, burnout, educational debt, and medical knowledge among internal medicine residents.JAMA. 2011; 306: 952-960
- Predicting and preventing physician burnout: results from the United States and the Netherlands.Am J Med. 2001; 111: 170-175
- Burnout in Chairs of Academic Radiology Departments in the United States.Acad Radiol. 2019; 26: 1378-1384
- Burnout, Professional Fulfillment, Intention to Leave, and Sleep-Related Impairment Among Radiology Trainees Across the United States (US): A Multisite Epidemiologic Study.Acad Radiol. 2022; 28: S118-S125
- Burnout during residency training: a literature review.J Grad Med Educ. 2009; 1: 236-242
- Residency schedule, burnout and patient care among first year residents.Postgrad Med J. 2013; 89: 495-500
- Estimating institutional physician turnover attributable to self-reported burnout and associated financial burden: a case study.BMC Health Serv Res. 2018; 18: 851
- Predictors of self-reported burnout among radiology faculty at a large academic medical center.J Am Coll Radiol. 2020; 17: 1684-1691
- Burnout of radiologist: frequency, risk factors, and remedies: a report of the ACR Commission on Human Resources.J Am Coll Radiol. 2016; 13: 411-416
- Why Radiology Residents Experience Burnout and How to Fix It.Acad Radiol. 2019; 26: 555-558
The 2013 Stanford Wellness Survey. Available at: https://wellmd.stanford.edu/self-assessment.html. Accessed 30, 2021.
- A brief instrument to assess both burnout and professional fulfillment in physicians: reliability and validity, including correlation with self-reported medical errors, in a sample of resident and practicing physicians.Acad Psychiatry. 2018; 42: 11-24
- Primary care 2.0: A prospective evaluation of a novel model of advanced team care with expanded medical assistant support.Ann Fam Med. 2021; 19: 411-418
- A prospective intervention to improve happiness and reduce burnout in oncologists.Support Care Cancer. 2019; 27: 1563-1572
- Self-reported burnout: comparison of radiologists to nonradiologists peers at a large academic medical center.Acad Radiol. 2020; 29: 277-283
- Issues Most Pressing to Early-Career Interventional Radiologists: Results of a Descriptive Survey.Acad Radiol. 2021;
Publication stageIn Press Corrected Proof
All authors substantially contributed to the design of the work, the writing of the manuscript, and approved the final version of the manuscript and are accountable for the manuscript's contents.
The authors declare that we had full access to all the data in this study and we take complete responsibility for the integrity of the data and the accuracy of the data analysis.