Rationale and Objectives
To determine which methods of assessment of splenic size most accurately represent the actual spleen volume in patients with Chronic Lymphocytic Leukemia (CLL).
Materials and Methods
The Abdominal Computed Tomography images of 48 patients with CLL enrolled on a phase 2 clinical trial at two time-points before and after 2-months of continuous acalabrutinib treatment were analyzed. Linear one-dimensional measurements of the spleen were taken in different planes. Two-dimensional and three-dimensional measurements were calculated from the linear measurements using mathematical formulae. The spleen volume was determined by manual segmentation as the ground truth. Data derived were analyzed using Pearson correlation and statistical significance was set at p < 0.05.
Among the single-dimensional measurements, the strongest correlation with the segmented splenic volume was the sagittal long axis diameter (LAD) (r = 0.89, p < 0.05), followed closely by Coronal LAD (r = 0.87, p < 0.05) and cephalocaudal length (iwCLL) (r = 0.84, p < 0.05). For the two-dimensional indices, the sum of LAD and short axis diameter (SAD) of the spleen in axial plane showed good correlation with the splenic volume (r = 0.77, p < 0.05). Among the three-dimensional indices, the splenic index (0.523 x axial LAD x axial SAD x coronal height) and a formula for volume (30 + 0.58 x axial LAD x axial SAD x coronal height) had the strongest correlation (both r = 0.92, p < 0.05) with the spleen volume.
The three-dimensional formulae showed the strongest correlation with volumetric reference spleen measurement. Among unidimensional measurements, the sagittal LAD had the best correlation with the actual splenic volume. The two-dimensional calculation methods were less reliable.
Abbreviations:BAp (Bland and Altman), CC (Coronal Cephalocaudal), CLL (Chronic Lymphocytic Leukemia), CT (Computed Tomography), iwCLL (International Workshop on Chronic Lymphocytic Leukemia), LAD (Long Axis Diameter), n (Normalized, PACS, Picture Archiving and Communication System), SAD (Short Axis Diameter)
To read this article in full you will need to make a payment
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to Academic Radiology
Already a print subscriber? Claim online access
Already an online subscriber? Sign in
Register: Create an account
Institutional Access: Sign in to ScienceDirect
- Splenic volume can be a novel predictive parameter for the prognosis of chronic lymphocytic leukemia?.Ann Oncol. 2010; 21: 2443-2445
- Chronic lymphocytic leukemia.N Engl J Med. 1995; 333: 1052-1057
- 3.1 Natural History of Splenomegaly in CLL from Automated Volumetric Analysis.Clin Lymph, Myel Leuk. 2011; 11: 196
- Determination of splenomegaly by coronal oblique length on CT.Japanese J radiol. 2018; 36: 142-150
- The splenomegaly of myeloproliferative and lymphoproliferative disorders: splenic cellularity and vascularity.Eur J Haematol. 1989; 43: 63-66
- Ibrutinib-induced lymphocytosis in patients with chronic lymphocytic leukemia: correlative analyses from a phase II study.Leukemia. 2014; 28: 2188-2196
- Spleen size: how well do linear ultrasound measurements correlate with three-dimensional CT volume assessments?.Br J Radiol. 2002; 75: 573-577
- Depth and durability of response to ibrutinib in CLL: 5-year follow-up of a phase 2 study.Blood. 2018; 131: 2357-2366
- iwCLL guidelines for diagnosis, indications for treatment, response assessment, and supportive management of CLL.Blood. 2018; 131: 2745-2760
- Spleen enlargement assessment using computed tomography: which coefficient correlates the strongest with the real volume of the spleen?.Abdom Radiol. 2018; 43: 2455-2461
- The orthogonal measurements approach in estimating spleen size on CT images.Diagnost Intervent Radiol. 2020; 26: 5
- Determination of splenomegaly by CT: is there a place for a single measurement?.Am J Roentgenol. 2005; 184: 1510-1513
- Recommendations for initial evaluation, staging, and response assessment of Hodgkin and non-Hodgkin lymphoma: the Lugano classification.J Clin Oncol. 2014; 32: 3059
- Comparative evaluation of three software packages for liver and spleen segmentation and volumetry.Acad Radiol. 2017; 24: 831-839
- Assessing splenomegaly: automated volumetric analysis of the spleen.Acad Radiol. 2013; 20: 675-684
- Ultrasound of the spleen.World J Surg. 2000; 24: 183-187
- Clinical and biological implications of target occupancy in CLL treated with the BTK inhibitor acalabrutinib.Blood. 2020; 136: 93-105
- Determination of normal splenic volume on computed tomography in relation to age, gender and body habitus.Eur Radiol. 1997; 7: 246-248
- Estimating splenic volume: sonographic measurements correlated with helical CT determination.Am J Roentgenol. 2003; 181: 1615-1620
Badran DH, Kalbouneh HM, Al-Hadidi MT, et al. Ultrasonographic assessment of splenic volume and its correlation with body parameters in a Jordanian population. Saudi medical journal. 2015;36(8):967.
- Accuracy of ultrasonography in assessing spleen and liver size in patients with Gaucher disease: comparison to computed tomographic measurements.J Ultrasound Med. 1997; 16: 209-211
- The best single measurement for assessing splenomegaly in patients with cirrhotic liver morphology.Acad Radiol. 2017; 24: 1510-1516
- Ultrasonographic appearance of splenic disease in 101 cats.Vet Radiol Ultrasound. 2001; 42: 441-445
Published online: July 19, 2022
Accepted: June 22, 2022
Received in revised form: June 21, 2022
Received: May 18, 2022
Published by Elsevier Inc. on behalf of The Association of University Radiologists.