Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Environmental Protection Agency (EPA). Reduce, Reuse, Recycle. Available at: https://www.epa.gov/recycle. Accessed November 8, 2021
Gray WB (2015). Environmental regulations and business decisions. IZA World of Labor. 2015 Sep 1. Available at: https://wol.iza.org/articles/environmental-regulations-and-business-decisions/long. Accessed November 8, 2021
- Estimate of the Carbon Footprint of the US Health Care Sector.JAMA. 2009; 302: 1970-1972https://doi.org/10.1001/jama.2009.1610
- Environmental impacts of the U.S. health care system and effects on public health.PLoS One. 2016; 11https://doi.org/10.1371/journal.pone.0157014
- From bandages to buildings: identifying the environmental hotspots of hospitals.J Cleaner Prod. 2021; 319128479
Energy Information Administration. 2012 Commercial buildings energy consumption survey: energy usage summary. Available at: www.eia.gov/consumption/commercial/reports/2012/energyusage. Accessed: December 29, 2021
Healthcare Environmental Resource Center. Available at:https://www.globenewswire.com/news-release/2021/11/16/2335435/0/en/92-of-S-P-500-Companies-and-70-of-Russell- 1000-Companies-Published-Sustainability-Reports-in-2020-G-A-Institute-Research-Shows.html. Accessed: December 29, 2021.
- Greening the radiology department: not a big mountain to climb.Can Assoc Radiol J. 2017; 68: 234-236https://doi.org/10.1016/j.carj.2016.10.009
- The energy consumption of radiology: energy- and cost-saving opportunities for CT and MRI operation.Radiology. 2020; 295 (JunEpub 2020 Mar 24. PMID: 32208096): 593-605https://doi.org/10.1148/radiol.2020192084
- Design of a sustainable prepolarizing magnetic resonance imaging system for infant hydrocephalus.MAGMA. 2018; 31 (OctEpub 2018 Apr 11. PMID: 29644479; PMCID: PMC6135672): 665-676https://doi.org/10.1007/s10334-018-0683-y
Qureshi AS, Nawab A. The role of engineers in sustainable development. In Proceedings of the Symposium on Role of Engineers in Economic Development and Policy Formulation, Lahore, Pakistan 2013 (105-114).
- White paper report of the 2010 RAD-AID conference on international radiology for developing countries: identifying sustainable strategies for imaging services in the developing world.J Am Coll Radiol. 2011; 8 (AugPMID21807349PMCIDPMC4337872): 556-562https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jacr.2011.01.011
Murphy H (2022). Arizona State University home to new 9.4T cryogen-free MRI system. Available at: https://www.healthimaging.com/topics/magnetic-resonance-imaging/arizona-state-university-94t-cryogen-free-mri. Accessed: February 20, 2022
Berthold J (2021). Siemens healthineers and UCSF create first carbon-neutral radiology imaging service. Available at: https://www.ucsf.edu/news/2021/11/421756/siemens-healthineers-and-ucsf-create-first-carbon-neutral-radiology-imaging#:∼:text=Siemens%20Healthineers% 20and%20UCSF %20Create%20First%20Carbon%2DNeutral% 20Radiology%20Imaging%20Service,-New%20Agreement%20Focuses &text=Siemens%20Healthineers%20and%20UC%20San,radiological% 20imaging%20in%20Northern%20California. Accessed: February 20, 2022
- Green fingerprint" project: evaluation of the power consumption of reporting stations in a radiology department.Acad Radiol. 2020; 27 (NovEpub 2019 Dec 13. PMID: 31843389): 1594-1600https://doi.org/10.1016/j.acra.2019.11.011
- Greening radiology.J Am Coll Radiol. 2011; 8 (NovPMID: 22051462): 780-784https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jacr.2011.07.017
- Switching off for future-Cost estimate and a simple approach to improving the ecological footprint of radiological departments.Eur J Radiol Open. 2020; 8 (PMID: 33457469; PMCID: PMC7797527)100320https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ejro.2020.100320
- EcoRadiology"–pulling the plug on wasted energy in the radiology department.Acad Radiol. 2014; 21 (DecEpub 2014 Aug 27. PMID: 25175323): 1563-1566https://doi.org/10.1016/j.acra.2014.07.010
- Energy consumption of VA hospital CT scans.in: Proceedings of the 2011 IEEE international symposium on sustainable systems and technology. 2011: 1-5
- Hospital radiology department overhead energy estimation.in: Proceedings of the 2011 IEEE international symposium on sustainable systems and technology. 2011: 1-6
- Recycling in Ir, what IR specialists can do to help.Cardiovasc Intervent Radiol. 2019; 42: 789-790https://doi.org/10.1007/s00270-019-02206-9
U.S. Energy Information Administration (EIA). How much electricity dose an American home use? Available at: www.eia.gov/tools/faqs/faq.php?id=97&t=3. Accessed: July 30, 2022
- Economic and environmental impact of energy saving in healthcare buildings.Applied Sciences. 2018; 8 (Mar): 440
Department of Energy. Efficient Lighting Strategies. Available at: https://www.nrel.gov/docs/fy03osti/26467.pdf. Accessed: January 2, 2022
- Economic, environmental and health co-benefits of the use of advanced control strategies for lighting in buildings of Mexico.Energy Policy. 2018; 113: 401-409
- Optimization of LED lighting for clinical settings.J Healthc Eng. 2019; 2019 (PMID31534645PMCIDPMC6732584)5016013https://doi.org/10.1155/2019/5016013
Department of Health. Sustainability in healthcare. victoria department of health. 2012. Available online:www.health.vic.gov.au/sustainability/energy/use.htm. Accessed: February 20, 2022
- Principles to define energy key performance indicators for the healthcare sector.in: In2020 International Conference on Smart Grids and Energy Systems (SGES). IEEE, 2020: 898-903
- The environmental impact of interventional radiology: an evaluation of greenhouse gas emissions from an academic interventional radiology practice.J Vasc Interv Radiol. 2021; 32 (e3Epub 2021 Mar 29PMID33794372): 907-915https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jvir.2021.03.531
Sachar S, Campbell I, Kalanki A. Solving the global cooling challenge: how to counter the climate threat from room air conditioners. rocky mount institute, 2018. Available at: www.rmi.org/insight/solving_the_global_cooling_challenge. Accessed: February 20, 2022
- Integrating health and energy efficiency in healthcare facilities.Pacific Northwest National Lab. (PNNL), Richland, WA (United States). 2021 Mar 1;
- Energy benchmarking in healthcare facilities: a comparative study.J Construct Engineering Manage. 2021; 14704021159
Minnesota Pollution Control Agency. Reducing office paper use. Available at: www.pca.state.mn.us/quick-links/office-paper. Accessed: February 8, 2022.
- A cost-benefit analysis of electronic medical records in primary care.Am J Med. 2003; 114: 397-403
- Persistent paper: the myth of “going paperless”. InAMIA Annual Symposium Proceedings.Am Med Informat Associat. 2009; 2009 (158): 158
Trends in healthcare payments eleventh annual report: 2020. Available at: https://www.instamed.com/white-papers/trends-in-healthcare-payments-annual-report. Accessed: February 8, 2022.
- Environmental LCA on three note-taking devices.Procedia CIRP. 2020; 90: 310-315
- Environmental sustainability of hospital foodservices across the food supply chain: a systematic review.J Acad Nutr Diet. 2020; 120 (MayEpub 2020 Feb 21PMID32093919): 825-873https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jand.2020.01.001
- Room service in a public hospital improves nutritional intake and increases patient satisfaction while decreasing food waste and cost.J Hum Nutr Diet. 2018; 31: 734-741
The International EPD System. Available at: www.environdec.com/home. Accessed June 28, 2022.
National Association of State Procurement Officials (NASPO). NASPO Green Purchasing Guide. Available at: https://www.naspo.org/green-purchasing-guide. Accessed: February 8, 2022
- Environmental impact reduction as a new dimension for quality measurement of healthcare services.Int J Health Care Qual Assur. 2018; 31 (PMID: 30415627): 910-922https://doi.org/10.1108/IJHCQA-10-2016-0153
- Environmental impact and life cycle financial cost of hybrid (reusable/single-use) instruments versus single-use equivalents in laparoscopic cholecystectomy.Surg Endosc. 2022; 36: 4067-4078
- Transforming the medical device industry: Road map to a circular economy: Study examines a medical device industry transformation. 39. Health Affairs, Washington, DC2020: 2088-2097
- Life cycle assessment and costing methods for device procurement: comparing reusable and single-use disposable laryngoscopes.Anesth Analg. 2018; 127 (PMID29324492): 434-443https://doi.org/10.1213/ANE.0000000000002683
- Equipment in the global radiology environment: why we fail, how we could succeed.J Global Radiol. 2019; 5: 3
World Health Organization. Guidelines for health care equipment donations (2020). Available at: https://www.who.int/medical_devices/publications/en/Donation_Guidelines.pdf. Accessed: January 2, 2022
- Medical donations are not always free: an assessment of compliance of medicine and medical device donations with World Health Organization guidelines (2009–2017).Int health. 2019; 11 (Sep 2): 379-402
F Alshqaqeeq, C McGuire, M Overcash, et al. Choosing radiology imaging modalities to meet patient needs with lower environmental impact Resour Conserv Recycl, 155 (2020), 10.1016/j.resconrec.2019.104657.
- A comparison of reusable and disposable perioperative textiles: sustainability state-of-the-art 2012.Anesth Analg. 2012; 114 (MayEpub 2012 Apr 4. Erratum in: Anesth Analg. 2012 Sep;115(3):733. PMID: 22492184): 1055-1066https://doi.org/10.1213/ANE.0b013e31824d9cc3
- Disposable versus reusable medical gowns: A performance comparison.Am J Infect Control. 2021; 49 (MayEpub 2020 Oct 20. PMID: 33091509; PMCID: PMC7572274): 563-570https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ajic.2020.10.013
Morgan J (2019). ASHE Health facilities. Recycled blue wrap given new life as inpatient products. Available at: www.hfmmagazine.com/articles/3683-recycled-blue-wrap-given-new-life-as-inpatient-products. Accessed: April 27, 2022
Zotova O, Pétrin-Desrosiers C, Gopfert A, et al. Carbon-neutral medical conferences should be the norm. the lancet planetary health. 2020;4(2). doi:10.1016/s2542-5196(20)30003-6
- Moving towards equity, wellness, and environmental sustainability: arguments for virtual radiology residency recruitment and strategies for application control.Acad Radiol. 2022; 29 (JulEpub 2022 Jan 11. PMID: 35031151): 1124-1128https://doi.org/10.1016/j.acra.2021.12.014
- Direct comparison of in-person versus virtual interviews for complex general surgical oncology fellowship in the COVID-19 Era.Ann Surg Oncol. 2021; 28 (AprEpub 2020 Nov 26. PMID: 33244739; PMCID: PMC7690846): 1908-1915https://doi.org/10.1245/s10434-020-09398-2
- Carbon footprint of the RSNA annual meeting.Eur J Radiol. 2020; 125 (AprEpub 2020 Feb 19PMID32105915)108869https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ejrad.2020.108869
GlobeNewsWire (2020). 92% of S&P 500 Companies and 70% of Russell 1000 Companies Published Sustainability Reports in 2020, G&A Institute Research Shows. Available at: 92% of S&P 500 Companies and 70% of Russell 1000 (globenewswire.com). Accessed April 7, 2022.
- Minimal custom pack design and wide-awake hand surgery: reducing waste and spending in the orthopedic operating room.Hand (N Y). 2019; 14 (MarEpub 2017 Nov 28. PMID: 29183168; PMCID: PMC6436127): 271-276https://doi.org/10.1177/1558944717743595
- Assessing the burden of packaging and recyclability of single-use products in interventional radiology.Cardiovasc Intervent Radiol. 2020; 43 (JunEpub 2020 Feb 7. PMID: 32034434): 910-915https://doi.org/10.1007/s00270-020-02427-3
- Environmental sustainability in neurointerventional procedures: a waste audit.J Neurointerv Surg. 2020; 12 (NovEpub 2020 Jul 17. PMID: 32680876): 1053-1057https://doi.org/10.1136/neurintsurg-2020-016380
- Greening the neurointerventional suite.J Neurointerv Surg. 2020; 12 (NovEpub 2020 Sep 10. PMID: 32913004): 1037-1038https://doi.org/10.1136/neurintsurg-2020-016657
- Anesthetic gases and global warming: Potentials, prevention and future of anesthesia.Anesth, Essays Res. 2011; 5: 5
- Inhalational anaesthesia with low fresh gas flow.Ind J Anaesth. 2013; 57 (Jul): 345
- People, planet and profits: the case for greening operating rooms.CMAJ. 2012; 184: 1905-1911
- Recycling of medical plastics.Advanced Indust Engineer Polymer Res. 2021; 4: 199-208
- Segregation for reduction of regulated medical waste in the operating room: a case report.Korean J Anesthesiol. 2017; 70: 100
- Reducing the carbon footprint of hospital-based care.Future hospital J. 2015; 2: 57
- JIT in healthcare: an integrated approach.Int J Advances Manage Economic. 2012; 1 (Feb): 20-27
World Health Organization. Raising awareness on climate change and health. Available at: www.euro.who.int/en/health-topics/environment-and-health/Climate-change/activities/raising-awareness-on-climate-change-and-health. Accessed April 7, 2022
Image Wisely. Available at: www.imagewisely.org. Accessed April 7, 2022
Image Gently. Available at: pediatric radiology & imaging | radiation safety – image gently. Last accessed 2022.
- People make the difference: An explorative study on the relationship between organizational practices, employees’ resources, and organizational behavior enhancing the psychology of sustainability and sustainable development.Sustainability. 2019; 11: 1499
- How organizational practices predict team work engagement: The role of organizational trust.Cienc. Trab. 2012; 14: 7-15
- Changing circumstances, disrupting habits.J Personal Soc Psychol. 2005; 88: 918-933
- Development and validation of a scale for measuring multiple motives toward environmental protection MEPS.Glob. Environ. Chang. 2019; 58101971
The author(s) declare(s) that they had full access to all of the data in this study and the author(s) take(s) complete responsibility for the integrity of the data and the accuracy of the data analysis.