- •This paper reviews the current state of radiology education in US medical schools and discusses the rationale for a mandatory radiology curriculum taught by radiologists.
- •With increased emphasis on value-based care and patient outcomes, students should learn appropriateness criteria, imaging safety, costs of imaging tests and economic implications of overutilization.
- •Increasing radiologist teaching and engagement with students may improve diversity and inclusivity in radiology by increasing interest in the specialty by underrepresented minorities (URMs).
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
AAMC Curriculum Reports: Clerkship requirements by discipline. Available at https://www.aamc.org/data-reports/curriculum-reports/interactive-data/clerkship-requirements-discipline. Accessed February 8, 2021.
AAMC Curriculum Reports: Content documentation as independent course or part of an integrated course. Available athttps://www.aamc.org/data-reports/curriculum-reports/interactive-data/content-documentation-independent-course-or-part-integrated-course. Accessed February 8, 2021.
- The flexner report–100 years later.Yale J Biol and Med. 2011; 84: 269-276
- Medical education in the United States and Canada: a report to the Carnegie Foundation for the Advancement of Teaching.Merrymount Press, 1910
- History of medical imaging.Amer Philosoph Soc. 2008; 152: 349-361
- Role of imaging in the era of precision medicine.Acad Radiol. 2017; 24: 639-649
- The importance of strategy for the evolving field of radiology.Radiol. 2002; 224: 639-648
- The use of radiology in teaching anatomy.Radiol. 1927; 8: 384-386
- The role of radiology in preclinical anatomy: a critical review of the past, present, and future.Acad Radiol. 2013; 20: 297-305
AAMC Curriculum Reports: Clerkship week requirements by curriculum year. Available at https://www.aamc.org/data-reports/curriculum-reports/interactive-data/clerkship-week-requirements-curriculum-year. Accessed February 8, 2021.
- Understanding the US medical school requirements and medical students’ attitudes about radiology rotations.Acad Radiol. 2012; 19: 369-373
- Medical student radiology education: summary and recommendations from a national survey of medical school and radiology department leadership.J Am Coll Radiol. 2014; 11: 606-610
- Trends in use of medical imaging in US health care systems and in Ontario, Canada, 2000-2016.JAMA. 2019; 322: 843-856
Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services. Part B national summary data file (previously known as BESS). Available at: https://www.cms.gov/Research-Statistics-Data-and-Systems/Downloadable-Public-Use-Files/Part-B-National-Summary-Data-File/Overview. Accessed September 29, 2020.
- Integrating evidence-based imaging into the radiology core clerkship: a proposed teaching tool of imaging strategies.J Am Coll Radiol. 2010; 7: 517-521
- Radiologic and nuclear medicine studies in the United States and worldwide: frequency, radiation dose, and comparison with other radiation sources–1950-2007.Radiology. 2009; 253: 520-531
- Fourth-year medical student opinions and basic knowledge regarding the field of radiology.Acad Radiol. 2013; 20: 272-283
American College of Radiology. ACR Appropriateness Criteria®. Available at https://acsearch.acr.org/list. Accessed April 10, 2021.
- Teaching evidence-based imaging in the radiology clerkship using the ACR Appropriateness Criteria.Acad Radiol. 2010; 17: 912-916
- Medical student usage of the American College of Radiology appropriateness criteria.Acad Radiol. 2015; 22: 1606-1611
- Do clinicians use the American College of Radiology appropriateness criteria in the management of their patients?.Amer J Roentgenol. 2009; 192: 1581-1585
- Student concerns and misconceptions about a career in radiology.Acad Radiol. 2012; 19: 366-368
- Role of radiology in medical education: perspective of nonradiologists.Acad Radiol. 1994; 1: 70-74
- Educating medical students about radiologists’ contributions to patient care.Acad Radiol. 2012; 19: 908-909
- Preclinical medical student training in radiology: the effect of early exposure.Am J Roentgenol. 2007; 188: W9-W14
- The long-term impact of preclinical education on medical students’ opinions about radiology.Acad Radiol. 2008; 15: 1331-1339
- Radiology clerkships are necessary for teaching medical students appropriate imaging workups.Acad Radiol. 2000; 7: 40-45
- Introducing the American College of Radiology appropriateness criteria to medical students to increase appropriate imaging selection.Curr Prob Diag Radiol. 2022; 51: 737-739
- Integrating the ACR appropriateness criteria into the radiology clerkship: comparison of didactic format and group-based learning.J Am Coll Radiol. 2016; 13: 566-570
- Image Gently. 2021; (Accessed)
- Image Wisely. 2021; (Accessed)
- Importance of radiology clerkships in teaching medical students life-threatening abnormalities on conventional chest radiographs.Acad Radiol. 2002; 9: 217-220
- The vital role of radiology in the medical school curriculum.Am J Roentgenol. 2003; 180: 1239-1242
- Identifying barriers to building a diverse physician workforce: a national survey of the ACR membership.J Am Coll Radiol. 2019; 16: 1091-1101
- Mentorship of US medical students: a systematic review.J Gen Intern Med. 2019; 11: 2602-2609
- The need for more mentorship in medical school.Cureus. 2020; 5: e7984
- Impact of a mentored student clerkship on underrepresented minority diversity in otolaryngology—head and neck surgery.Laryngoscope. 2016; 126: 2684-2688
- Pipeline programs in the health professions, part 1: preserving diversity and reducing health disparities.J Natl Med Assoc. 2009; 101: 836-840
Liaison Committee on Medical Education. Functions and structure of a medical school: standards for accreditation of medical education programs leading to the MD degree. Available at: http://lcme.org/publications/. Accessed April 24, 2021.
- Analyzing physician workforce racial and ethnic composition associations: geographic distribution (part II).AAMC Anal Brief. 2014; 14: 1-2
- Factors associated with medical school graduates’ intention to work with underserved populations: policy implications for advancing workforce diversity.Acad Med. 2018; 93: 82-89
AAMC Diversity in Medicine: Facts and figures 2019. Available at https://www.aamc.org/data-reports/workforce/report/diversity-medicine-facts-and-figures-2019. Accessed February 22, 2021.
- Current status of diversity by race, hispanic ethnicity, and sex in diagnostic radiology.Radiology. 2014; 270: 232-240
- Why don't female medical students choose diagnostic radiology? A review of the current literature.J Am Coll Radiol. 2004; 1: 583-590
- Differential motivations for pursuing diagnostic radiology by gender: implications for residency recruitment.Acad Radiol. 2017; 24: 1312-1317
AMSER Curriculum, Competencies, and Learning Objectives. Available at: https://www.aur.org/affinity-groups/amser/curriculum. Accessed June 15, 2022.
- Strategies for incorporating radiology into early medical school curricula.J Am Coll of Radiol. 2014; 11: 74-79
- Integrating a radiology curriculum into clinical clerkships using case-oriented radiology education.J Am Coll Radiol. 2011; 8: 58-64
Aquifer Radiology. https://aquifer.org/courses/aquifer-radiology/. Accessed 14 September 2021.
American college of radiology standardized tool for the assessment of radiology students (ACR STARS). Available at https://www.acr.org/Lifelong-Learning-and-CME/Learning-Activities/Medical-Student-Activities/Radiology-Student-Assessment-Tool. Accessed February 22, 2021.
- Multisite implementation of Radiology-TEACHES (Technology-enhanced appropriateness criteria home for education simulation).J Am Coll Radiol. 2020; 17: 652-661
- Radiology in medical education: a pediatric radiology elective as a template for other radiology courses.J Am Coll Radiol. 2016; 13: 320-325
The Image Gently Alliance. https://www.imagegently.org/Home/Pledge-Certificate. Accessed 14 September 2021
- Medical student performance after a vertically integrated radiology clerkship.J Am Coll Radiol. 2016; 13: 67-71
- Medical student satisfaction and performance using an innovative radiology education laboratory.J Am Coll Radiol. 2016; 14: 404-408
Long, H. B. Adult learning: Research and practice. New York: Cambridge., 1983. (p. 47)
- Radiology field trips–a list of “must sees” in the radiology department for medical students: how we do it.Acad Radiol. 2018; 25: 1646-1652
- Multidisciplinary approach in teaching diagnostic radiology to medical students: the development, implementation, and evaluation of a virtual educational model.J Am Coll Radiol. 2021; 18: 1179-1187
- Creating an open-access educational radiology website for medical students: a guide for radiology educators.Acad Radiol. 2021; 28: 1631-1636
- Teaching radiology in medical school: an association for medical student educators in radiology survey.Acad Radiol. 2013; 20: 255-256
American College of Radiology. ACR appropriateness criteria. Suspected Appendicitis—Child. Available at https://acsearch.acr.org/docs/3105874/Narrative/. Accessed July 14, 2021.