- •DE-CTA-derived parameters could be associated with thrombus composition and allow for personalized thrombectomy strategies.
- •The RBC-dominant thrombi showed significantly higher VNC values and lower IC, λHU, and Zeff values than the F/P-dominant thrombi (p < 0.05).
- •The thrombus composition was associated with DE-CTA-derived parameters.
Abbreviations:λHU (Slope of the spectral Hounsfield unit curve), AIS (Acute ischemic stroke), DE-CTA (Dual-energy computed tomography angiography), F/P (Fibrin/platelet), H&E (Hematoxylin & eosin), IC (Iodine concentration), ICA (Internal carotid artery), ICC (Intraclass correlation coefficient), LVO (Large vessel occlusion), MCA (Middle cerebral artery), PEI (Polyenergetic images), RBC (Red blood cell), VNC (Virtual non-contrast), VM (Virtual monoenergetic), Zeff (Effective atomic number), NCCT (Non-contrast computed tomography), DECT (Dual-energy computed tomography)
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Feigin VL, Nichols E, Alam T, et al., regional, and national burden of neurological disorders, 1990-2016: a systematic analysis for the global burden of disease study 2016. Lancet Neurol 2019; 18:459–480.
- Acute stroke intervention: a systematic review.JAMA. 2015; 313: 1451-1462
- Risk of thrombus fragmentation during endovascular stroke treatment.AJNR Am J Neuroradiol. 2017; 38: 991-998
- Thrombus enhancement sign on CT angiography is associated with the first pass effect of stent retrievers.J Neurointerv Surg. 2022; https://doi.org/10.1136/neurintsurg-2021-018447
- Blood clot fracture properties are dependent on red blood cell and fibrin content.Acta Biomater. 2021; 127: 213-228
- Thrombus composition, imaging, and outcome prediction in acute ischemic stroke.Neurology. 2021; 97: S68-S78
- CT and MRI early vessel signs reflect clot composition in acute stroke.Stroke. 2011; 42: 1237-1243
- Quantitative thrombus characteristics on thin-slice computed tomography improve prediction of thrombus histopathology: results of the MR CLEAN Registry.Eur Radiol. 2022; 32: 7811-7823
- Clot permeability and histopathology: is a clot's perviousness on CT imaging correlated with its histologic composition?.J Neurointerv Surg. 2020; 12: 38-42
- Thrombus permeability in admission computed tomographic imaging indicates stroke pathogenesis based on thrombus histology.Stroke. 2018; 49: 2674-2682
- Visualization of thrombus enhancement on thin-slab maximum intensity projection of ct angiography: an imaging sign for predicting stroke source and thrombus compositions.Radiology. 2021; 298: 374-381
- Energy-selective reconstructions in X-ray computerized tomography.Phys Med Biol. 1976; 21: 733-744
- Virtual versus true non-contrast images of the brain from spectral detector CT: comparison of attenuation values and image quality.Acta Radiol. 2022; https://doi.org/10.1177/02841851221093763
- Optimization of kiloelectron volt settings in cerebral and cervical dual-energy CT angiography determined with virtual monoenergetic imaging.Acad Radiol. 2014; 21: 431-436
- Characterization of thrombus composition with multimodality CT-based imaging: an in-vitro study.J Neurointerv Surg. 2021; 13: 738-740
- Utility of single-energy and dual-energy computed tomography in clot characterization: An in-vitro study.Interv Neuroradiol. 2017; 23: 279-284
- Differentiation of clot composition using conventional and dual-energy computed tomography.Clin Neuroradiol. 2018; 28: 515-522
- High red blood cell composition in clots is associated with successful recanalization during intra-arterial thrombectomy.Plos One. 2018; 13e197492
- Energy dependent reconstruction in X-ray computerized tomography.Comput Biol Med. 1976; 6: 325-336
- Histological composition behind CT-based thrombus density and perviousness in acute ischemic stroke.Clin Neurol Neurosurg. 2021; 207106804
- Correlation of imaging and histopathology of thrombi in acute ischemic stroke with etiology and outcome: a systematic review.J Neurointerv Surg. 2017; 9: 529-534
- Thrombus composition in acute ischemic stroke: a histopathological study of thrombus extracted by endovascular retrieval.J Neuroradiol. 2015; 42: 86-92
- Histopathologic composition of cerebral thrombi of acute stroke patients is correlated with stroke subtype and thrombus attenuation.Plos One. 2014; 9: e88882
- The value of single-source dual-energy CT imaging for discriminating microsatellite instability from microsatellite stability human colorectal cancer.Eur Radiol. 2019; 29: 3782-3790
- Material differentiation by dual energy CT: initial experience.Eur Radiol. 2007; 17: 1510-1517
- A new method to measure electron density and effective atomic number using dual-energy CT images.Phys Med Biol. 2016; 61: 265-279
- Extracting atomic numbers and electron densities from a dual source dual energy CT scanner: experiments and a simulation model.Radiother Oncol. 2011; 100: 375-379
- Improved differentiation between primary lung cancer and pulmonary metastasis by combining dual-energy CT-derived biomarkers with conventional CT attenuation.Eur Radiol. 2021; 31: 1002-1010
- Iodine quantification with dual-energy CT: phantom study and preliminary experience with renal masses.AJR Am J Roentgenol. 2011; 196: W693-W700
- Iodine quantification to distinguish clear cell from papillary renal cell carcinoma at dual-energy multidetector CT: a multireader diagnostic performance study.Radiology. 2014; 273: 813-820
- Dual-energy CT with iodine quantification in distinguishing between bland and neoplastic portal vein thrombosis in patients with hepatocellular carcinoma.Clin Radiol. 2016; 71: 931-938
- Erythrocyte fraction within retrieved thrombi contributes to thrombolytic response in acute ischemic stroke.Stroke. 2018; 49: 652-659
- Is histologic thrombus composition in acute stroke linked to stroke etiology or to interventional parameters?.AJNR Am J Neuroradiol. 2020; 41: 650-657
- Quantitative attenuation accuracy of virtual non-enhanced imaging compared to that of true non-enhanced imaging on dual-source dual-energy CT.Abdom Radiol (NY). 2020; 45: 1100-1109