Abbreviations:BLM (Black Lives Matter), EDI (Equity, Diversity, and Inclusion)
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to Academic Radiology
- Racial and ethnic disparities in disease severity on admission chest radiographs among patients admitted with confirmed coronavirus disease 2019: a retrospective cohort study.Radiology. 2020; 297: E303-e312https://doi.org/10.1148/radiol.2020202602
- The roots of structural racism in the United States and their manifestations during the COVID-19 pandemic.Acad Radiol. 2021; 28: 893-902https://doi.org/10.1016/j.acra.2021.03.025
- Reducing health disparities in radiology through social determinants of health: lessons from the COVID-19 pandemic.Acad Radiol. 2021; 28: 903-910https://doi.org/10.1016/j.acra.2021.04.006
- Hidden in plain sight: reconsidering the use of race correction in clinical algorithms.N Engl J Med. 2020; 383: 874-882https://doi.org/10.1056/NEJMms2004740
- Race as biology is fiction, racism as a social problem is real: Anthropological and historical perspectives on the social construction of race.Am Psychol. 2005; 60: 16-26https://doi.org/10.1037/0003-066x.60.1.16
- Dissecting racial bias in an algorithm used to manage the health of populations.Science. 2019; 366: 447-453https://doi.org/10.1126/science.aax2342
- Science reflects history as society influences science: brief history of “race,” “race correction,” and the spirometer.Adv Physiol Educ. 2018; 42: 163-165https://doi.org/10.1152/advan.00196.2017
- Health inequities and the inappropriate use of race in nephrology.Nat Rev Nephrol. 2022; 18: 84-94https://doi.org/10.1038/s41581-021-00501-8
- Kidney disease, race, and GFR estimation.Clin J Am Soc Nephrol. 2020; 15: 1203-1212https://doi.org/10.2215/cjn.12791019
- Genetic ancestry in lung-function predictions.N Engl J Med. 2010; 363: 321-330https://doi.org/10.1056/NEJMoa0907897
- Assessment of a crisis standards of care scoring system for resource prioritization and estimated excess mortality by race, ethnicity, and socially vulnerable area during a regional surge in COVID-19.JAMA Netw Open. 2022; 5e221744.https://doi.org/10.1001/jamanetworkopen.2022.1744
- Triage of critical care resources in COVID-19: a stronger role for justice.J Med Ethics. 2020; 46: 526-530https://doi.org/10.1136/medethics-2020-106320
- Equitably allocating resources during crises: racial differences in mortality prediction models.Am J Respir Crit Care Med. 2021; 204: 178-186https://doi.org/10.1164/rccm.202012-4383OC
- Accuracy of the sequential organ failure assessment score for in-hospital mortality by race and relevance to crisis standards of care.JAMA Netw Open. 2021; 4e2113891.https://doi.org/10.1001/jamanetworkopen.2021.13891
- Narrowing the gap: imaging disparities in radiology.Radiology. 2021; 299: 27-35https://doi.org/10.1148/radiol.2021203742
- Racial and ethnic disparities in radiology: a call to action.J Am Coll Radiol. 2019; 16: 547-553https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jacr.2018.12.024
- The digital divide in radiology: computer use for health care-related tasks and breast cancer screening.Radiology. 2022; 306: 218-219https://doi.org/10.1148/radiol.220796
- U.S. Health in international perspective: shorter lives, poorer health.National Academies Press (US), Washington (DC)2013
- The state of health disparities in the United States.National Academies Press (US), Washington (DC)2017
- Racial health disparities and covid-19 - caution and context.N Engl J Med. 2020; 383: 201-203https://doi.org/10.1056/NEJMp2012910
- Practical tips for creating a diversity, equity, and inclusion committee: experience from a multicenter, academic radiology department.J Am Coll Radiol. 2021; 18: 1027-1037https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jacr.2021.03.022
- Diversity, equity, and inclusion that matter.N Engl J Med. 2020; 383: e25https://doi.org/10.1056/NEJMpv2022639
- Structural racism and supporting black lives-the role of health professionals.N Engl J Med. 2016; 375: 2113-2115https://doi.org/10.1056/NEJMp1609535
- Professionalism 101 for Black physicians.N Engl J Med. 2020; 383: e34https://doi.org/10.1056/NEJMpv2022773
- Why I stay-the other side of underrepresentation in academia.N Engl J Med. 2020; 383: e24https://doi.org/10.1056/NEJMpv2022100
- Health, social reform, and medical schools-the training of American physicians and the dissenting tradition.N Engl J Med. 2019; 381: 1870-1875https://doi.org/10.1056/NEJMms1907237
- Beyond a moment: reckoning with our history and embracing antiracism in medicine.N Engl J Med. 2020; 383: 1404-1406https://doi.org/10.1056/NEJMp2021812
- Structural solutions for the rarest of the rare - underrepresented-minority faculty in medical subspecialties.N Engl J Med. 2020; 383: 283-285https://doi.org/10.1056/NEJMms2003544
- Racist like me - a call to self-reflection and action for white physicians.N Engl J Med. 2019; 380: 805-807https://doi.org/10.1056/NEJMp1814269
- The conversations we've been having.N Engl J Med. 2020; 383: e51https://doi.org/10.1056/NEJMpv2023963
- Majority taxes - toward antiracist allyship in medicine.N Engl J Med. 2020; 383: e23https://doi.org/10.1056/NEJMpv2022964
- Toward a fourth generation of disparities research to achieve health equity.Annu Rev Public Health. 2011; 32: 399-416https://doi.org/10.1146/annurev-publhealth-031210-101136
- Structural racism and health inequities: old issues, new directions.Du Bois Rev. 2011; 8: 115-132https://doi.org/10.1017/s1742058x11000130
- How structural racism works-racist policies as a root cause of U.S. racial health inequities.N Engl J Med. 2020; 384: 768-773https://doi.org/10.1056/NEJMms2025396
- Structural racism and health inequities in the USA: evidence and interventions.Lancet. 2017; 389: 1453-1463https://doi.org/10.1016/s0140-6736(17)30569-x
- Structural racism-a 60-year-old black woman with breast cancer.N Engl J Med. 2019; 380: 1489-1493https://doi.org/10.1056/NEJMp1811499
- Understanding and addressing racial disparities in health care.Health Care Financ Rev. 2000; 21: 75-90
- Bridging the equity gap.AJR Am J Roentgenol. 2019; 213: 785-791https://doi.org/10.2214/ajr.19.21528
- COVID-19 and racial/ethnic disparities.JAMA. 2020; 323: 2466-2467https://doi.org/10.1001/jama.2020.8598
- Structural racism, social risk factors, and COVID-19 - a dangerous convergence for black Americans.N Engl J Med. 2020; 383: e77https://doi.org/10.1056/NEJMp2023616
- Covid's color line: infectious disease, inequity, and racial justice.N Engl J Med. 2020; 383: 408-410https://doi.org/10.1056/NEJMp2019445
Media AP. Data from: the color of coronavirus: COVID-19 deaths by race and ethnicity in the U.S. 2020.
- Inequity in crisis standards of care.N Engl J Med. 2020; 383: e16https://doi.org/10.1056/NEJMp2011359
- Keeping our promise: supporting trainees from groups that are underrepresented in medicine.N Engl J Med. 2021; 385: 487-489https://doi.org/10.1056/NEJMp2105270
Kington RaTD. Increasing racial and ethnic diversity among physicians: an intervention to address health disparities? The Right Thing To Do, The Smart Thing To Do: Enhancing Diversity in the Health Professions. 2001;
- Does diversity matter for health? Experimental evidence from Oakland.Am Econ Rev. 2019; 109: 4071-4111https://doi.org/10.1257/aer.20181446
- Misrepresenting race: the role of medical schools in propagating physician bias.N Engl J Med. 2021; 384: 872-878.https://doi.org/10.1056/NEJMms2025768
- Creating real change at academic medical centers-how social movements can be timely catalysts.N Engl J Med. 2020; 383: 199-201https://doi.org/10.1056/NEJMp2002502
- Academic medicine and black lives matter: time for deep listening.JAMA. 2020; 324: 435-436https://doi.org/10.1001/jama.2020.12532
- Practical approaches to advancing health equity in radiology, from the AJR Special Series on DEI.AJR Am J Roentgenol. 2023; (Epub ahead of print. PMID: 36629307)https://doi.org/10.2214/ajr.22.28783
- Prevention of extravasation of intravenous computerised tomography contrast media among adult patients in the Medical Imaging Department of an Acute Tertiary Hospital: A best practice implementation project.JBI Evidence Synthesis. 2013; 11: 294-308https://doi.org/10.11124/jbisrir-2013-1282
- Addressing the patient experience in a magnetic resonance imaging department: final results from an action research study.J Med Imaging Radiat Sci. 2016; 47: 329-336https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jmir.2016.04.007
- Computed tomography coronary angiography with heart rate control premedication: a best practice implementation project.JBI Database System Rev Implement Rep. 2017; 15: 1968-1976https://doi.org/10.11124/jbisrir-2016-003270
Edwards M. Changing for the better. Available at: https://www.acr.org/Practice-Management-Quality-Informatics/Imaging-3/Case-Studies/Strategic-Planning/Changing-for-the-Better. Accessed January 14, 2023.
Kotter JP. Leading change: why transformation efforts fail. 1995
- Diversity, equity, and inclusion efforts are organizational change management efforts.J Am Coll Radiol. 2022; 19: 181-183https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jacr.2021.09.011
- The only constant in radiography is change: a discussion and primer on change in medical imaging to achieve evidence-based practice.Radiography (Lond). 2020; 26: S3-S7https://doi.org/10.1016/j.radi.2020.07.001
- Change management-a radiology administrator׳s primer.Curr Probl Diagn Radiol. 2017; 46: 382-384https://doi.org/10.1067/j.cpradiol.2017.06.010
- Change management for radiologists.J Am Coll Radiol. 2017; 14: 1229-1233https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jacr.2017.02.053
Radiologists AoU. A statement from the AUR. Accessed November 2, 2022. Available from: https://www.aur.org/
- A Message from RSNA: RSNA stands in support of the African-American community.RSNA News, Oak Brook, IL2020
- ACR statement on recent tragedies and racial inequities | American College of Radiology.ACR News Releases, Reston, VA2020
ARRS Statement on Healthcare and Racial Inequities. ARRS InPractice2020.
Services CfMaM. CMS framework for health equity 2022–2032. 2022.
Services CfMaM. Building an organizational response to health disparities. 2022.
Commission TJ. R3 report: New requirements to reduce health care disparities. 2022. Available from: https://www.jointcommission.org/-/media/tjc/documents/standards/r3-reports/r3_disparities_july2022-6-20-2022.pdf. Accessed January 14, 2023
- Using an annual diversity, equity and inclusion dashboard to accelerate change in academic radiology departments.Acad Radiol. 2022; https://doi.org/10.1016/j.acra.2022.07.007
- ADKAR: A model for change in business, government, and our community.Prosci Learning Center Publications, Loveland, Colorado2006
- Frontiers in group dynamics: concept, method and reality in social science; social equilibria and social change.Human Relations. 1947; 1: 5-41https://doi.org/10.1177/001872674700100103
Krafcik JF. Triumph of the lean production system. MIT Sloan Management Review 1988. 41-52.
Reeves K. Catalyst for Growth. 2020.
Publication stageIn Press Corrected Proof
This research did not receive any specific grant from funding agencies in the public, commercial, or not-for-profit sectors.