In their article, “The Impact of Emerging Technologies on Residency Selection by Medical Students in 2017 and 2021, With a Focus on Diagnostic Radiology”, Atalay et al. (
1) bring to light the perception among medical students that emerging technologies (ET) including artificial intelligence (AI), machine learning and robotics will limit job prospects for several medical specialties, particularly Radiology. This analysis was performed at a single institution, however similar hesitancy toward radiology as a career choice by trainees due to ET has been reported across other institutions as well (
- Atalay MK
- Baird GL
- Stib MT
- et al.
The impact of emerging technologies on residency selection by medical students in 2017 and 2021, with a focus on diagnostic radiology.
Acad Radiol. 2022; (Epub ahead of print. PMID: 36058817): 00376-2-S1076-6332https://doi.org/10.1016/j.acra.2022.07.003
- Gong B
- Nugent JP
- Guest W
- et al.
Influence of artificial intelligence on Canadian medical students’ preference for radiology specialty a national survey study.
Acad Radiol. 2019; 26: 566-577
- Collado-Mesa F
- Alvarez E
- Arheart K.
The role of artificial intelligence in diagnostic radiology: a survey at a single radiology residency training program.
J Am Coll Radiol. 2018; 15: 1753-1757
To read this article in full you will need to make a payment
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to Academic Radiology
Already a print subscriber? Claim online access
Already an online subscriber? Sign in
Register: Create an account
Institutional Access: Sign in to ScienceDirect
- The impact of emerging technologies on residency selection by medical students in 2017 and 2021, with a focus on diagnostic radiology.Acad Radiol. 2022; (Epub ahead of print. PMID: 36058817): 00376-2-S1076-6332https://doi.org/10.1016/j.acra.2022.07.003
- Influence of artificial intelligence on Canadian medical students’ preference for radiology specialty a national survey study.Acad Radiol. 2019; 26: 566-577
- The role of artificial intelligence in diagnostic radiology: a survey at a single radiology residency training program.J Am Coll Radiol. 2018; 15: 1753-1757
- Artificial intelligence in medicine: today and tomorrow.Front Med. 2020; 7: 1-6
- Big data in stroke: how to use big data to make the next management decision.Neurotherapeutics. 2023; (Epub ahead of print. PMID: 36899137)https://doi.org/10.1007/s13311-023-01358-4
- An update of in vivo application of artificial intelligence and robotics for percutaneous nephrolithotripsy: results from a systematic review.Curr Urol Rep. 2023; (Epub ahead of print. PMID:36897534)https://doi.org/10.1007/s11934-023-01155-8
- Artificial intelligence for diabetic retinopathy screening using color retinal photographs: from development to deployment.Ophthalmol Ther. 2023; (Epub ahead of print. PMID: 36862308)https://doi.org/10.1007/s40123-023-00691-3
- Current and future implications of artificial intelligence in colonoscopy.Ann Gastroenterol. 2023; 36 (Epub 2023 Feb 3. PMID: 36864946. PMCID: PMC9932855): 114-122https://doi.org/10.20524/aog.2023.0781
- What this computer needs is a physician: humanism and artificial intelligence.JAMA. 2018; 319: 19-20https://doi.org/10.1001/jama.2017.19198
- How does artificial intelligence in radiology improve efficiency and health outcomes?.Pediatr Radiol. 2022; 52 (Epub 2021 Jun 12. PMID: 34117522. PMCID: PMC9537124): 2087-2093https://doi.org/10.1007/s00247-021-05114-8
- Current clinical applications of artificial intelligence in radiology and their best supporting evidence.J Am Coll Radiol. 2020; 17 (PMID: 33153541): 1371-1381https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jacr.2020.08.018
- Uncertainty is associated with biased expectancies and heightened responses to aversion.Emotion. 2011; 11: 413-424
- Intolerance of uncertainty: neural and psychophysiological correlates of the perception of uncertainty as threatening.Clin Psychol Rev. 2018; 60: 87-99
- Artificial intelligence and the practice of radiology: an alternative view.J Amer Coll Radiol. 2018; 15: 1004-1007
- The end of radiology? Three threats to the future practice of radiology.J Am Coll Radiol. 2016; 375: 1216-1219
- Comparison of chest radiograph interpretations by artificial intelligence algorithm vs radiology residents.JAMA Netw Open. 2020; 3e2022779
- AI improves nodule detection on chest radiographs in a health screening population: a randomized controlled trial.Radiology. 2023; (Epub ahead of print. PMID: 36749213)221894https://doi.org/10.1148/radiol.221894
- The long-term impact of preclinical education on medical students' opinions about radiology.Acad Radiol. 2008; 15 (PMID: 18790406): 1331-1339https://doi.org/10.1016/j.acra.2008.03.015
- Subinternship in radiology: a practical start to the specialization?.Rofo. 2016; 188 (Epub 2016 Sep 22. PMID: 27657345): 1024-1030https://doi.org/10.1055/s-0042-113612
- Surveying fourth-year medical students regarding the choice of diagnostic radiology as a specialty.J Am Coll Radiol. 2016; 13: 188-195
- Understanding the US medical school requirements and medical students' attitudes about radiology rotations.Acad Radiol. 2012; 19 (Epub 2011 Dec 15. PMID: 22177282): 369-373https://doi.org/10.1016/j.acra.2011.11.005
- Radiology clerkship requirements in Canada and the United States: current state and impact on residency application.J Am Coll Radiol. 2020; 17 (Epub 2019 Dec 31. PMID: 31899179): 515-522https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jacr.2019.11.026
- An artificial intelligence training workshop for diagnostic radiology residents.Radiology. 2023; 5e220171
- What do medical students actually need to know about artificial intelligence?.NPJ Digit Med. 2020; 3 (PMID: 32577533.PMCID: PMC7305136): 86https://doi.org/10.1038/s41746-020-0294-7
Published online: April 13, 2023
Accepted: March 13, 2023
Received: March 13, 2023
© 2023 The Association of University Radiologists. Published by Elsevier Inc. All rights reserved.